mod name and version restrictions

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
moon69
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

mod name and version restrictions

Post by moon69 »

Hi all.

Is there any reference on the fields inside info.json ?

In particular, I want to know the exact restrictions on "name" (permitted characters, length etc.) and "version" (max values, are the 3 "a.b.c" sections mandatory?)

Cheers

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: mod name and version restrictions

Post by eradicator »

I don't know any (official) documentation, but from experience:

"Version" must have three numbers, seperated by dots. I haven't ever seen a mod use something higher than 20-ish for any of them, so if you want to use three digits you'll have to try yourself.

"Name" is a string made from numbers and digits. Spaces are now disallowed (edit: on the mod-portal only) though some legacy mods are still allowed to use their original name. As a convention most mods use a dash '-' instead of space where applicable, because underscore '_' is already used to seperate name from version. Special characters... are probably disallowed. I'm not aware of any length restriction.

But instead of asking here it's far faster to just test yourself :p.
Last edited by eradicator on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:10 pm
"Name" is a string made from numbers and digits. Spaces are now disallowed though some legacy mods are still allowed to use their original name. As a convention most mods use a dash '-' instead of space where applicable, because underscore '_' is already used to seperate name from version. Special characters... are probably disallowed. I'm not aware of any length restriction.
Spaces work just fine in the game (as does any other character that your filesystem allows). The only place they aren't accepted is the mod portal and only because the guys who wrote it don't like spaces (they work perfectly fine with the legacy mods that do use spaces on the mod portal).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 am
eradicator wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:10 pm
"Name" is a string made from numbers and digits. Spaces are now disallowed though some legacy mods are still allowed to use their original name. As a convention most mods use a dash '-' instead of space where applicable, because underscore '_' is already used to seperate name from version. Special characters... are probably disallowed. I'm not aware of any length restriction.
Spaces work just fine in the game (as does any other character that your filesystem allows). The only place they aren't accepted is the mod portal and only because the guys who wrote it don't like spaces (they work perfectly fine with the legacy mods that do use spaces on the mod portal).
Thanks, i edited the original post to be more clear (i assumed that the OP would want to naturally put their mod on the portal eventually). How does the mod portal handle the "any other character that your filesystem allows" part?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

moon69
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by moon69 »

Thanks all.

The requirement is actually for an external data-mining app... I want to extract icons from mods and need to convert (for example) __BeastFinder__/graphics/xyz.png"
to
"BeastFinder_0.16.1/graphics/xyz.png" or "BeastFinder_0.16.1.zip/graphics/xyz.png" as appropriate.

Return to “Modding help”