Using sprites in gui

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
robertpaulson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Using sprites in gui

Post by robertpaulson »

Hi, I would like to use some type of a separator for my gui frame. I tried creating a second frame right below it and was hoping for similar effect of what you get from "inventory and Crafting" wiondow where they are right beside each other, but it got created with a spacing and with a diff size. I assume flow would be needed to do that, but I never seen it done. So I tried using a graphic "sprite":

Code: Select all

frame["sar-table3"].add{type = "sprite", name="sar-table-separator"}
where sprite was:

data:extend({

-- sprites
    {
        type = "sprite",
        name = "sar-table-separator",
        filename = "__SpaceFlight__/graphics/separator.png",
        priority = "extra-high-no-scale",
        width = 32,
        height = 2
    }
})

color was bright red, so even with the 2 pixel height it should be noticeable, but nothing showed up, and no error neither. I am hoping for something similar to the vertical lines you see in resource screen when you start a new game.

I really enjoy modding this game but find it very hard to figure out how to change/add specifics. I often find it either through browsing data file itself or through different mods. I expect this to be handled by something like

data.raw["gui-style"].default["some-button-style"] =

since its for gui, but I could not find any resource to figure it out since "sprite_style" type doest work. Wiki is very vague when it come to implementation or listing full functionality so I turn to you guys again. Thanks for help in advance.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Using sprites in gui

Post by eradicator »

robertpaulson wrote:and was hoping for similar effect of what you get from "inventory and Crafting" wiondow where they are right beside each other, but it got created with a spacing and with a diff size. I assume flow would be needed to do that,
Correct, you need to add them both into the same container (though gui.center is a container too), via something like:

local main = player.gui.center.add{type='flow',direction='horizontal'}
main.add{type='frame',name='left'}
main.add{type='frame',name='right'}
If you want them directly next to each other you have to remove the spacing/padding on the flow and/or frames either by applying a style (defined in data stage) or by directly manipulating LuaGuiElement.style.

padding = 0,
  cell_padding       =  0,
  horizontal_spacing =  0, vertical_spacing   =  0,
  top_padding        =  0, right_padding      =  0,  
  left_padding       =  0, bottom_padding     =  0,  
There are many different values than affect this, try which ones you need.

If you want them to be equal size you also have to specify a fixed height/width on both frames to prevent them from scaling according to content (again via style).

minimal_width = 200,
    maximal_width = 200,
    width = 200, --new in 0.16 i think? same for height.
To select a good height/width you will want to consult the values of LuaPlayer.display_resolution and LuaPlayer.display_scale and handle the events on_player_display_resolution_changed and on_player_display_scale_changed.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

robertpaulson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Using sprites in gui

Post by robertpaulson »

Thank you thats plenty of help

Return to “Modding help”