Changing vanilla machine behaviour

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Sir3n
Inserter
Inserter

Changing vanilla machine behaviour

Post by Sir3n »

I was wondering if it is actually possible to override vanilla machine (e.g assembling machine / electric furnace) behaviour and do something different with them.

---
Examples to illustrate what I'm thinking about:

1) Fixing productivity modules leading to wrong consumption / production at high machine speeds (more here)

2) On the fly adjustment of recipes. Inspiration from 5x Production.
Basically, maintaining a list of machines and handling one of them each tick. Idea is to scale recipes up as much as needed so that the game never processes more than one machine each tick, and when it does process a machine, it processes the recipe * multiplier and then lets the machine sleep some amount of time so that the overall production is the same.
Main goal is to save processing power in large bases so it can be used elsewhere.

3) Use the same recipe scaling tactic from (2) to allow vanilla machines to go beyond 1 recipe/tick hard limit. Not really useful in vanilla but together with mods that add stronger modules / beacons, you can build pseudo-loader furnaces that are just vanilla furnaces surrounded by beacons but look more interesting than a loader furnace.

4) Adding a new machine type that has a UI like a chest and has storage space where you can drop say 500 electric furnaces, and a bunch of modules, and the machine would act just like an electric furnace and process 500x the recipe in one go, and apply the module bonuses. Again, not very useful in vanilla because of inserter speeds but with mods that increase stack size bonuses, it could be possible to instantly empty a whole train load into the machine and process it instantly and drop it all back onto the train. Inspiration from Compound Furnaces, but compressed into a single machine space.

5) Adding to (4), the ability to modify power consumption of the machine to be based on something like furnaces ^ 2. Not so much a restriction in vanilla, but with mods like seablock, power generation can become a convincing limiter.
---

I know these ideas might not make good or fun mods but my goal is to figure out how factorio modding works when it comes to adding / changing behaviour and what the limits are. Pointers as to where to look for the needed functionality, if it exists, would be helpful.

Return to “Modding help”