Making a new Entity

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Making a new Entity

Post by CJ5Boss »

Hello all,
I am new to the modding community and have made only two basic mods, a QoL research and a recipe changer. I was wondering how I could create an entity for the game, like a new object required to craft something, a new thing the player could make, etc. I was wondering what files I would need, and what I would need to type in them. If anyone has a good example mod, or guide, please let me know. Thanks!
--CJ5Boss

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Making a new Entity

Post by sparr »

Many many mods have examples of this, done many different ways. I recommend picking one that does something similar to what you want and working from that.

Basic concept is that you need to define the entity, and define an item (which goes in your inventory) that has a place_result of that entity, and define a recipe that creates that item, and probably a tech that unlocks that recipe.

Any one of these could involve editing an existing thing instead of creating a new thing, such as making an existing tech also unlock your new recipe, or an existing recipe produce your new item instead of or in addition to what it normally produces.

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CJ5Boss »

sparr wrote:Many many mods have examples of this, done many different ways. I recommend picking one that does something similar to what you want and working from that.

Basic concept is that you need to define the entity, and define an item (which goes in your inventory) that has a place_result of that entity, and define a recipe that creates that item, and probably a tech that unlocks that recipe.

Any one of these could involve editing an existing thing instead of creating a new thing, such as making an existing tech also unlock your new recipe, or an existing recipe produce your new item instead of or in addition to what it normally produces.
Thanks very much! I'll look into some mods.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

CJ5Boss wrote:Hello all,
I am new to the modding community and have made only two basic mods, a QoL research and a recipe changer. I was wondering how I could create an entity for the game, like a new object required to craft something, a new thing the player could make, etc. I was wondering what files I would need, and what I would need to type in them. If anyone has a good example mod, or guide, please let me know. Thanks!
--CJ5Boss
May be will be helpful
viewtopic.php?f=135&t=45107
Whole data.raw into log file.

Return to “Modding help”