Custom Scenario Errors: Please Help!

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
DarkSeahorse635
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Custom Scenario Errors: Please Help!

Post by DarkSeahorse635 »

I was inspired by a recent Friday Facts to create a custom scenario similar to the ones in the base game. In short, the player must secure the perimeter of a small pre-built base, find a train yard with an artillery turret and enough supplies to launch a rocket, and build a train line across the map to a launching silo and launch the turret to win. Unfortunately, I had no experience with c++ before opening up the control folders and the code is giving me a hard time.

Upon running the scenario, the error I get is "Error while running on_init: ...Data/Roaming/Factorio/temp/currently-playing/control.lua:6: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)"

I'm aware that the problem is with the arguments for "on_init", but I cant find the "currently-playing" folder in "Roaming/Factorio/temp" so I don't know how the function works. Please Help! thanks in advance!!

Notes: I used map editor to build the map and the base. I used the "tag" feature to tag entities that I wanted to fill with items at the start of the game.
ldswagon = low density structure wagon
rcu = rocket control unit
rf = rocket fuel

The control folder should be below. Let me know if anything else is needed.
Attachments
control.lua
(11 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

unfunf22
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Custom Scenario Errors: Please Help!

Post by unfunf22 »

this Data/Roaming/Factorio/temp/currently-playing/ can be found when you play the game and it not crashing to desktop but its not important because your scenario is faulty.

DarkSeahorse635
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Could you elaborate on "faulty"? Is it something wrong with story_table or under script.on_init?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

As per the error "control.lua:6" Look at line 6 of control.lua:

Code: Select all

game.players[1].force.disable_all_prototypes()
"players" isn't a property of "game", you're looking for "player" so when you try to index "players" it's throwing an error.

game.player[1].force.disable_all_prototypes()
  game.player[1].force.clear_chart()
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:As per the error "control.lua:6" Look at line 6 of control.lua:

"players" isn't a property of "game", you're looking for "player" so when you try to index "players" it's throwing an error.

Wtf are you talking about...? game.player is only available in the console, game.players is the list of players. The issue is that on_init no player exists because it hasnt been created yet. OP could access the force directly instead, using game.forces.player.disable_all_prototypes() etc.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Ah. Don't mind me then ^^ too early to be trying lol
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

DarkSeahorse635
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Bilka wrote:
Deadly-Bagel wrote:As per the error "control.lua:6" Look at line 6 of control.lua:

Wtf are you talking about...? game.player is only available in the console, game.players is the list of players. The issue is that on_init no player exists because it hasnt been created yet. OP could access the force directly instead, using game.forces.player.disable_all_prototypes() etc.
I'm having trouble actually creating this character. If no player exists, the recipe/technology/character inventory lists won't work because there is no player to index. I used the code from the campaigns to write that part which accomplishes this task with no issue. How do the campaigns create a character?

Return to “Modding help”