What Program did they use?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
WovenCookie
Inserter
Inserter

What Program did they use?

Post by WovenCookie »

I am using java eclipse, but that didnt work, so i need to know...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What Program did they use?

Post by FreeER »

Program for what exactly? For lua, I use Notepad++ (on windows 7), I'd probably 'force' myself to use vi on linux/mac so that I can learn it (yes I know it's available on windows, I have it installed I just can't bring myself to learn it when I have n++...) :) but any text editor at all will work (one with syntax highlighting is preferable) until you get to the locale files (for which you need to be able to set the file encoding to 'UTF8 without BOM'). I don't know what the devs or any other specific modders use. As for actual IDEs I've never used one for lua, I don't see why eclipse wouldn't work if it was set up properly (it wouldn't recognize the game commands though like game.setalwaysday() or properties like game.player, without a really good setup and I don't know how to do that lol). edit: a quick google found LuaEclipse for, well, Eclipse, maybe you'd be interested in checking that out LuaEclipse

For graphics the devs use Blender (free 3d modeling program), I use GIMP (free 2d image editor). I know some modders use Blender (or another commercial 3d program) and some use Photoshop so...any image editor capable of transparency would work (though some offer more features than others), any 3d program will let you make more advanced images a bit easier (when you know how to use them of course) than drawing all the frames yourself, especially if you end up deciding you want to tweak something half way through. I've heard that there is an addon for Blender called spritify that helps make the sprite sheets (rather than you having to stitch each frame together yourself).

StaticVoid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by StaticVoid »

You can use any eclipse, just use this lua plugin
http://www.eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/#installation

WovenCookie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WovenCookie »

Thank you i was just clueless

BloodyRum
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BloodyRum »

For my modding what ever language i use "sciTE" http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html it is very usefull once you learn how to use it to its full potential

Reygan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Reygan »

BloodyRum wrote:For my modding what ever language i use "sciTE" http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html it is very usefull once you learn how to use it to its full potential
Same thing, bro ;)
In my humble opinion, best and quick editor for many languages. Best alternative to huge IDEs like VisualStudio and so.
Daniel V. Lenskiy

Return to “Modding help”