Problems with locale at startup

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Kiapha
Inserter
Inserter

Problems with locale at startup

Post by Kiapha »

I have been trying a number of things lately, and having the oddest issues. If I so much as touch any locale file, it no longer loads up properly. I have no idea why, even if I delete and replace one letter and resave, it begins crashing on startup.
Error: E:/Downloads\Factorio\Factorio_0.9.8.9400\mods\test|locale\en\entity-descriptions.cfg(1): '=' character not found in line
is the error I get when I have this:

Code: Select all

[entity-description]
test=Read this already
(Yes, I got annoyed and reverted to silly stuff) The name of the entity is test, and the same error appears if I do something like take dytech and replace one letter and re-save.

Anyone have the slightest idea what is going on? Tried using notepad and notepad++. Both result in the same error.

Ok, I seem to have solved it on my own, but going to post anyway in case anyone else might have the same issue with the same solution. Opening the same file in wordpad and replacing the = caused it to load. I am unsure if it was saving in wordpad or replacing the = sign, but it did finally work.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Problems with locale at startup

Post by SilverWarior »

I suggest this probably has something to do with Character Set that is being used when you save those files.
Based on Translation gude (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=12&t=95) these files should always be saved in UTF8 without BOM.
So you should check which Character Set does your Notepad++ use when saving files.

Return to “Modding help”