Need help with error in game.oninit

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
IngoKnieto
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Need help with error in game.oninit

Post by IngoKnieto »

Hi everybody,

I am quite new to LUA and I am having trouble with a simple (?) starting script. So far I have successfully created a mod which adds a few new items and recipes and also modifies existing ones. The existing recipes I modified work in a new game, but not in a loaded game, and the Modding FAQ tells me, to add two lines to my control.lua (see: https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Modding_FAQ) to fix this.

So this is my control.lua now, but when I load or start a game now, it throws the error: __FactorioVanillaExtended__/control.lua:4: unexpected symbol near ')'

Code: Select all

game.oninit(function()
for i, player in ipairs(game.players) do player.force.reset_recipes()
for i, player in ipairs(game.players) do player.force.reset_technologies()
end)
I don't see any syntax error here, but as I said I just started working with LUA. Can anyone more experienced please help me?
Thanks in advance...

Edit: Forgot to mention: I am testing on version 0.14.9
Last edited by IngoKnieto on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

IngoKnieto
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Need help with error in game.oninit

Post by IngoKnieto »

Nevermind, I found it, somehow the END to the for-loops got deleted when I copied the two comands :oops:

However now the script is now throwing the error: attempt to index global 'game' (a nil value)
Is this related to the changes in version 0.12.11? But script.oninit doesn't work either. I am a little stuck here, if anyone could point me in the right direction how to reset modified recipes in save games I'll appreciate it...

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

A couple of issues

#1 the Wiki is horribly out of date

#2 game.oninit should be script.on_init

#3 need to use pairs and not ipairs when iterating through most of the factorio objects

#4 on_init is only ever run once. When the mod is first installed
#4b Keep in mind: in a brand new game there will not be any players in game.players at this point.

#5 "I think meaning I heard it on the forum" if you upgrade your mods version number (or add/remove/upgrade any mods or factorio) reset_recipes/technologies is automatically run but I haven't tested this. Won't error but could be redundant

script.on_int(function() 

for _, force in pairs(game.forces) do
force.reset_recipes()
force.reset_tehnologies()
end

end)
http://lua-api.factorio.com/

IngoKnieto
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by IngoKnieto »

Your code example works when I run it in-game from the console. That definitely helped me a lot for testing my mod, thank you!

However you are right, on_init is not called if I load a game where the mod was already enabled. I was going through the LUA API, but it seems like there is no "on_load" event, and for example on_player_created is also just called when you start a new game...

What is the best practice, if you want to run some commands, when a game is loaded?

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Quick test shows that on_init is run the first time the map is loaded with your mod. If that is the loading of the savegame, then for that time the on_load event is ignored.
The following code was put in mod control.lua in order to test this:

script.on_init(function() print('\n\noninit\n\n')  end)
script.on_load(function() print('\n\nonload\n\n')  end)
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

IngoKnieto
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by IngoKnieto »

Thank you for the replies, I found the on_load function now.

However I cannot use it directly, because game.forces doesn't exist at that point. I ended up with a workaround using the on_tick event, see this post: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=32882&p=212737#p212737

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Why exactly do you need the forces during the onload? You should define everything needed about them during the `on_init`, and then add some handlers for `on_force_created`\`on_forces_merging`.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

IngoKnieto
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by IngoKnieto »

I was just looking for an easy way, to see the effect of changed recipes in an already built up factory. And just during the test phase of a mod.
For example if I double the iron cost of steel, I want to see how my usual production chain behaves. Maybe there's an easier way to do those kind of balance testings, I don't know, I am quite new to modding. And I haven't worked with on_force_created`\`on_forces_merging yet, I'm gonna check what they do 8-)

Return to “Modding help”