Map Generation - Is this possible?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Map Generation - Is this possible?

Post by Targa »

Hi all. I have particular tastes when it comes to the biomes. I only like playing in the green biome with lush, green trees. I dislike the desert, the brown grass, the biome with weird-looking red trees, the one with brown reeds growing everywhere, etc... Is there any file I can modify so that when I generate a map it's always only one particular biome? Thanks in advance!

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Map Generation - Is this possible?

Post by prg »

Try this in a data-updates.lua:

Code: Select all

for _, name in pairs({"dirt", "dirt-dark", "sand", "sand-dark", "grass-dry"}) do
    data.raw.tile[name] = nil
end
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

That appears to give me green grass all the time, but doesn't change the biome itself. I still get the "lots of dead trees" biome, "weird twisty trees with red leaves" biome, etc... So basically left each biome vanilla, but changed the ground covering to green grass.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Try adding

data.raw.decorative = nil

for _, tree in pairs(data.raw.tree) do
    for _, badword in pairs({"dead", "dry", "red", "brown", "tree%-03", "tree%-07"}) do
        if string.match(tree.name, badword) then
            data.raw.tree[tree.name] = nil
        end
    end
end
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

Unfortunately all that does is delete everything, so I end up with an empty map. I was wondering if there was a way to control which biome the map generator produces.

On a side note, I like the code for being able to delete objects! I can't figure out the correct command for "stone-rock" though. If anyone knows it, please post it. "stone-rock" (the rocks you have to shoot) is in \prototypes\entity\demo-doodads.lua.

type = "simple-entity",
    name = "stone-rock",

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

This shouldn't remove everything, just all the decorations and a lot of types of trees so there might not be any in your starting area. If you want to keep some of the decorations, go through data/base/prototypes/entity/demo-doodads.lua to find the ones you don't like and only remove those instead of setting data.raw.decorative = nil. You could fiddle with the tree's autoplace settings to make the green ones spawn more often, but figuring out how that works would require some effort. So just regenerate the map till you're next to some trees. Don't have a better idea how to do this, sorry.

As for the stone-rock, you remove that with data.raw[type][name] like the other entities:

data.raw["simple-entity"]["stone-rock"] = nil

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

data.raw["simple-entity"]["stone-rock"] = nil
I figured that one out after your previous instructions, but when I tried it in a mod I got something like "Error: Attempt to index "simple-entity" nil" or something along those lines. I must have made a typo in the mod, because copy/pasting your code works. Thanks a million for that, I hate rocks!

As for my original question. I found this in data\prototypes\entity\demo-trees.lua:

local biomes = autoplace_utils.biomes
From that snippet, I was hoping there was some file that contained the literal biomes (desert, grassland, temperate, etc) that could easily be manipulated. In the end it appears that "biomes" is referring to something in the game engine that can't be accessed by end-users.

With all the previous info given here, I will eventually be able to modify the game's starting maps to my liking. I think I may take your advice and mod demo-trees.lua's placement probabilities to prevent ugly trees from being spawned. Thanks again for all the help!

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

There's no mention of biomes in autoplace_utils.lua (or anywhere else in all of data/) and the biomes variable isn't actually used anywhere in demo-trees.lua. I have no idea what that line is supposed to accomplish. I almost think it simply does nothing.

Return to “Modding help”