Dependencies again

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Dependencies again

Post by Pi-C »

Quick question:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Mod_structure#dependencies wrote: Each dependency is a string that consists of up to three parts: "<prefix> internal-mod-name <equality-operator version>", for example "? some-mod-everyone-loves >= 4.2.0". The possible prefixes are: ! for incompatibility, ? for an optional dependency, (?) for a hidden optional dependency, ~ for a dependency that does not affect load order, or no prefix for a hard requirement for the other mod. The equality operator (<, <=, =, >= or >) combined with the version allows to define dependencies that require certain mod versions, but it is not required.
I understand that "~ for a dependency that does not affect load order" means it doesn't matter what mod is loaded first, but both mods must be active. Is that correct?

(I'm actually looking for something that works like an optional dependency which doesn't affect load order -- kind of a recommendation: "If you are using my mod, you may also be interested in these." That would seem to fall in the domain of optional dependencies, but optional dependencies could still result in circular-dependency hell.)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Dependencies again

Post by Bilka »

Pi-C wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:43 pm
I understand that "~ for a dependency that does not affect load order" means it doesn't matter what mod is loaded first, but both mods must be active. Is that correct?
Yes.

A soft dependency that does not affect load order is currently not an option.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:52 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:43 pm
Yes.
Thanks!
currently not an option.
Does that mean it will be in the future? :-D
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Pi-C wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:57 pm
Bilka wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:52 pm
currently not an option.
Does that mean it will be in the future? :-D
The "currently" is just a bad typing habit :p
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

That's such a pity …

Return to “Modding help”