Modpack Dependency Help

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
tmas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Modpack Dependency Help

Post by tmas »

I'm trying to make a modpack with the following dependencies:
atomic artillery, big artillery (balanced), big artillery (incompatible), epic artillery sounds, king jo's insane artillery (optional), light artillery, mushroom cloud 1.1 patched (optional), napalm artillery, nuclear artillery, schall artillery (optional), schall land mine (optional hidden), and schall tank platoon (optional). With the following code, the game only sees Atomic artillery as a dependent and big artillery as incompatible. Nothing else. Here's my info.json code:

{
"name": "Artillery-modpack",
"version": "0.0.1",
"title": "Artillery Modpack",
"author": "tntmasta",
"homepage": "",
"description": "A collection of artillery mods mostly balanced for vanilla.",
"contact": "Discord: Tmas#9930",
"factorio_version": "1.1",
"dependencies": [
"base >= 1.1.0", "Atomic Artillery",
"!Big Artillery",
"Big Artillery (Balanced)",

"Epic Artillery Sounds",
"?King Jo's Insane Artillery",
"Light Artillery",
"?Mushroom Cloud 1.1 Patched",
"Napalm Artillery",
"Nuclear Artillery",
"?Schall Artillery",
"?Schall Land Mine",
"?Schall Tank Platoon"
]
}

What am I doing wrong?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Modpack Dependency Help

Post by DaveMcW »

"Big Artillery (Balanced)" seems to be messing up the mod loader. Maybe it's the parentheses?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

DaveMcW wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:24 pm
"Big Artillery (Balanced)" seems to be messing up the mod loader. Maybe it's the parentheses?
Definitely not! This is the culprit:

Code: Select all

"!Big Artillery",
The exclamation mark in front of the mod name marks it as incompatible with your mod.
tmas wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:10 pm
I'm trying to make a modpack with the following dependencies:
…, and schall tank platoon (optional). …

"?Schall Land Mine",
A question mark in front of the modname, as in

"?King Jo's Insane Artillery",
marks that mod as optional dependency. (It doesn't have to be loaded, but if it is, it will be loaded before your mod.) For a hidden dependency, you must put the question mark in parentheses:

"(?) Schall Land Mine",
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

tmas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tmas »

Yes, "Big Artillery" will mess up stuff since "Big Artillery (Balanced)" is a tweaked version of it. That's why I'm attempting to mark it as incompatible. Other modpacks mark stuff as incompatible with no issue. Is there special rules with marking things incompatible with "!" that I missed?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

You need to use the internal mod names, not their titles (https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Mod_ ... pendencies).

"MushroomCloud-patched" instead of "Mushroom Cloud 1.1 Patched" etc. You can find these names in the URLs of their mod pages.

Maybe it works with the first 2 because their internal names are the same as their title just without the space, but there certainly can't be parentheses in the internal name. I can't find "Big Artillery" or "Big Artillery (Balanced)" on the mod portal though.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

tmas wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:13 pm
Yes, "Big Artillery" will mess up stuff since "Big Artillery (Balanced)" is a tweaked version of it. That's why I'm attempting to mark it as incompatible.
Sorry, misread that! After adding the dependencies to a hacky testing mod, I see what you mean.

Anyway, there seems to be another big bug in your info.json: The mods you depend on don't exist! You should use the mod names instead of the mod titles, e.g. "AtomicArtillery" instead of "Atomic Artillery". The "title" field shows how the way the mod will be presented on the mod portal or in the game's mod manager, it's meant to be read by humans, different mods can have the same title, and the title can even be localized -- while "name" is unique for each mod. To get the real name, just check out each mod's info.json!
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

tmas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tmas »

Thank you very much. I knew it was something minor. I updated all the names and everything works as expected. For "big artillery", it's supposed to be "bigger artillery". Thanks again for all your help!

Return to “Modding help”