New modder, looking for input on some design elements

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
bigdan43
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New modder, looking for input on some design elements

Post by bigdan43 »

Hello all,

I'm a longtime player and mod enthusiast. I have some background in coding and have been studying/planning my first mod.

I was curious if the modding API would allow for creating new electric/logistic or pollution types (parallel for different purposes)
I'm comfortable with adding new entities into the game using the vanilla resources but have no clue where to start to attempt to build two overlapping but not integrated networks.

For some context, I was planning on implementing a type of item transport that would essentially teleport resources within the network instead of retrieving it with bots, or at least allow you to access the entire contents of the logistic network. If not, would it atleast be possible to disable and repurpose the existing logistic network?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: New modder, looking for input on some design elements

Post by Rseding91 »

bigdan43 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:17 pm
I was curious if the modding API would allow for creating new electric/logistic or pollution types (parallel for different purposes)
No.
bigdan43 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:17 pm
If not, would it atleast be possible to disable and repurpose the existing logistic network?
No.

The electric, logistic, and pollution systems are very complex systems that are purpose built to do what they do. They don't support having multiple of them operate on the same force or with each other in any way.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You could give logistics robots infinite speed and energy to achieve teleportation. But I think you will find that makes the game too easy.

bigdan43
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bigdan43 »

That's an idea, if I made a entity that was invisible and had infinite speed / carry space it would give the appearance of what i am trying to accomplish. I'll have to mull this idea over.

As for balance, I'm planning on offsetting the storage transportation issue through other means.

Thanks for the input

Return to “Modding help”