temperature of fluids

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

temperature of fluids

Post by nosports »

Hello,

how can i apply a temperature to a fluid ?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: temperature of fluids

Post by bobingabout »

I don't understand the question.

fluid definitions have the following tags

Code: Select all

default_temperature = 25,
    max_temperature = 100,
    gas_temperature = -100,
default is minimum, and starting temperature.
max is maximum
gas is the point when the graphic changes to show as a gas, rather than a fluid.

I believe recipe ingredients can specify min_temperature and max_temperature tags and and recipe results can specify temperature tag to set something other than default, but these last ones are off the top of my head.

EDIT:
minimum_temperature and maximum_temperature, damn, there's some inconsistency for you.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

[quote="bobingabout"]I don't understand the question.
/quote]

I thought i was tooooo short :-)

i dabbeling in modding and currently trying to build a Fusion reactor which use a salt as the first energy carrier (instead of steam)
That works fine, the salt is heated and is produced with the temperature with an 'high-temperature-exchanger'; basically a modified exchanger.

next step is a transfer of temperature/energy to steam for use in the turbine.
I am using a chemical-recipt which adds water to the salt and produce steam and 'cold' salt.
But both the steam and the cold-salt comes out with 15° ; for the salt it's ok, but for use in the turbine i need 500°C for the steam (as i mean)

Generally i though the steam is always heated, but i may think the temperature is not linked to the fluid, its linked to the Boiler/Heatexchanger ???

So the question is how do i add temperature to the output of the recipe/chemical-plant (or a modified chem-plant)

(is it posssible to make a heat-exchanger without the need of heatpipes; could be also a way, doesn't mind to make an additional exchanger)

I know there are some mods for fusion energy out there, but i want to learn this way :-)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

that's right, the temperature is bound only to that specific instance of the fluid, so when you run it through a recipe, it always comes out at the default temperature unless stated otherwise.

Heat exchanger is just a boiler, with the energy source type set to heat. you can change the type to burner to make it a boiler, or even to electric, and it should function the same way just off the different power source. And yes, this is per entity definition.

as for the temperature of the output, well, just add the temperature= tag on the output to hard set the temperature for that recipe. you can use a minimum_temperature on the input if you want too.

but there is no way to set an output temperature to match an input temperature.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

bobingabout wrote:but there is no way to set an output temperature to match an input temperature.
Theoretically if it is a 1:1 recipe (one input, one output) you can generate a set of recipes that approximates this.

Recipe 1 : Input 11-20°C, Output 11°C
Recipe 2 : Input 21-30°C, Output 21°C
Recipe 3 : Input 31-40°C, Output 31°C
etc

@MODERATORS:
So when is someone finally going to move this to modding help :P?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

eradicator wrote:
bobingabout wrote:but there is no way to set an output temperature to match an input temperature.
Theoretically if it is a 1:1 recipe (one input, one output) you can generate a set of recipes that approximates this.

etc

@MODERATORS:
This would work if we could set maximum temperature for recipe - I'm not sure if thats avaialble. And it would be a lot of recipes.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:
eradicator wrote:

etc

@MODERATORS:
This would work if we could set maximum temperature for recipe - I'm not sure if thats avaialble. And it would be a lot of recipes.
you can't say 11-20, and then 21-30, because what about 20.5°C? these values are stored as a float.
and yes, go back and look at what I said, there is a "minimum_temperature" and "maximum_temperature" tag read in by the game for a recipe ingredient. I looked it up in source, it's there.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

bobingabout wrote:
orzelek wrote:
eradicator wrote:

etc

@MODERATORS:
you can't say 11-20, and then 21-30, because what about 20.5°C? these values are stored as a float.
and yes, go back and look at what I said, there is a "minimum_temperature" and "maximum_temperature" tag read in by the game for a recipe ingredient. I looked it up in source, it's there.
What about setting the threshold as close as you can get? i.e. maximum=20.99999999999999999999999999999, as long as you use the maximum precision available shouldn't it work?

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

bobingabout wrote:that's right, the temperature is bound only to that specific instance of the fluid, so when you run it through a recipe, it always comes out at the default temperature unless stated otherwise.

Heat exchanger is just a boiler, with the energy source type set to heat. you can change the type to burner to make it a boiler, or even to electric, and it should function the same way just off the different power source. And yes, this is per entity definition.

as for the temperature of the output, well, just add the temperature= tag on the output to hard set the temperature for that recipe. you can use a minimum_temperature on the input if you want too.

but there is no way to set an output temperature to match an input temperature.
yes it worked :-)
but i can only add 200 ° - if i type in more FACTORIO throws an error :(

on the side note : do the exchanger work with the energy (regardless of the fluids) or will it take the energy and put out only if the output fluid is loaden enough from the energy input ?
I don't mind to say the heatexchanger will include a small electric engine to carry on the materials thouse just 10 kW electric energy usage...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

nosports wrote:yes it worked :-)
but i can only add 200 ° - if i type in more FACTORIO throws an error :(
You might want to report that as a bug in the bug reporting subforum.
nosports wrote:on the side note : do the exchanger work with the energy (regardless of the fluids) or will it take the energy and put out only if the output fluid is loaden enough from the energy input ?
I don't mind to say the heatexchanger will include a small electric engine to carry on the materials thouse just 10 kW electric energy usage...
I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try to answer it anyway.

A boiler, or heat exchanger will only consume energy, be it from the solid fuel source, the electric grid, or a heat pipe, IF it is actively doing something. if there is no water to heat, or the output fluid box is full, it'll stop working and stop consuming energy. (Though if you're using an electric energy source, they may be a drain usage)
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Modding help”