Can´t edit mod - access denied

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Can´t edit mod - access denied

Post by Pascali »

hi, i wan´t to try adding some own custom music for me to this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/db48x/original-music-hd

But everytime i wan´t to edit the data.lua or info.json or overwrite a ogg-file i get: access denied.

If a mod in factorio is red and activated -> does it work anyway? I can´t test it, because, the music is addet but the chance is high, that the normal music is played.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Can´t edit mod - access denied

Post by impetus maximus »

are you editing as admin? what OS?
i would extract it, edit, then inject it.
[edit] also make sure Factorio isn't running.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hi, as impetus maximus mentioned, make sure Factorio isn't running. If you're working with a zipped mod, Factorio causes the zip file to become locked for editing. Also, anything other than script changes (at least any script changes to control.lua) will require the whole game to be restarted, anyway, to take effect.

Mods that are activated but are highlighted red are not loaded. These mods have a dependency issue, such as a missing dependency or the version number of the dependency doesn't match what the mod is looking for (ie, a dependency of "base <= 0.15" will not run on version 0.16.x of Factorio).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

Thank you. I am using Windows 10 64bit.

I don´t have factorio running. But i can´t edit the zip-file directly. So i extracted it. And now am able to edit. And then i zipped it after that. From now on i can edit the created zip-file directly.

But is show it is vor factorio version 0.12 and not for 0.16. I opened the files but and changed the 0.12 to 0.16 but in factorio its show as 0.12 -> red!

info.json:

Code: Select all

{
  "name": "original-music-hd",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "title": "Original Music, in HD",
  "author": "ruhroh & db48x",
  "contact": "db48x+original-music-hd@db48x.net",
  "homepage": "http://db48x.net/factorio/original-music-hd",
  "description": "For all it's faults, the music from earlier versions of Factorio was actually quite good. ruhroh took it upon himself to recreate that music at a much higher level of quality; this mod adds it back to the rotation.",
  "dependencies": ["base >= 0.12.0"]
The othe files is a: data.lua

data:extend(
{
  {
    type = "ambient-sound",
    name = "Original Factorio Intro (HD)",
    track_type = "early-game",
    sound =
    {
      filename = "__original-music-hd__/FactorioIntro.ogg"
    }
  },
  {
    type = "ambient-sound",
    name = "Original Factorio Haluzsqua (HD)",
    track_type = "main-track",
    sound =
    {
      filename = "__original-music-hd__/FactorioHaluzsqua.ogg"
    }
  },
  {
    type = "ambient-sound",
    name = "Original Factorio Sepro1 (HD)",
    sound =
    {
      filename = "__original-music-hd__/FactorioSepro1.ogg"
    }
  }
})

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Make sure you only have 1 copy of the mod in your mods folder, zipped or otherwise. If you have a zipped copy and an unzipped one, it will prioritize the unzipped.

I forgot about one line in info.json that would need to be edited (and am noticing it's actually missing from the one you pasted up). You need a

"factorio_version": "0.16",
in there.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

o.k., thank you! That is working :)

To add new music simply copy the codepart i think:

{
    type = "ambient-sound",
    name = "Original Factorio Haluzsqua (HD)",
    sound =
    {
      filename = "__original-music-hd__/FactorioHaluzsqua.ogg"
    }
  },
..and change the name of the ogg-file.

But the path says always "__original-music-hd__/" - the name of the zip-file is: "original-music-hd_1.0.0.zip". So the "1.0.0." isn´t in the path. It seems to work, but... why?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

It's part of some of the logic in Factorio. The double underscores on either side of the name designates to Factorio that it's the mod name, then I'm guessing it either does some text replacement or internal table lookups (or both) to get the full correct path. Allows the modder to not have to continuously go through all of their files to update the file path each time the version number is changed. Also I guess you could say it technically allows for the game to load files out of mods regardless of if they're zipped or not.

Pascali
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pascali »

ah o.k., thank you.

Return to “Modding help”