Getting Fluidbox throughput

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Getting Fluidbox throughput

Post by Muppet9010 »

I am trying to get the fluid throughput of an offshore-pump. I can happily get the entitie's fluidbox's amount and capacity, but can't see a way to see/calculate its throughput.
As the amount refills from what is currently an infinite source, monitoring the amount only seems to show me if the throughput from the offshore-pump to its connected neighbour is greater than its pumping_speed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this or should I make a modding interface request?

The intention was to make water a limited resource, by tracking the consumption of offshore-pumps every game tick.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Getting Fluidbox throughput

Post by Klonan »

Muppet9010 wrote:I am trying to get the fluid throughput of an offshore-pump. I can happily get the entitie's fluidbox's amount and capacity, but can't see a way to see/calculate its throughput.
As the amount refills from what is currently an infinite source, monitoring the amount only seems to show me if the throughput from the offshore-pump to its connected neighbour is greater than its pumping_speed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this or should I make a modding interface request?

The intention was to make water a limited resource, by tracking the consumption of offshore-pumps every game tick.
Thats a property of its prototype:
http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaE ... ping_speed

And can't be changed at runtime

Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Getting Fluidbox throughput

Post by Muppet9010 »

I wasn't looking to change the pumping speed initially, just to obtain the water throughput per tick.

However, as you mention pumping speed, I have now set this to 0.001 (0.06/s) and use a script to add to the fluidbox's amount. This is a bit clunky as the pump's basic pump_speed (no script amount adding) shows as technically active, but generates so little water it doesn't really provide anything useful in reality.
So I can now see how much top up room is available in the pump when adding water and thus have my throughput of the pump from the water source.

If I set the pumping speed to 0.0001 or lower (0) I found that the fluid box count was still showing as 1 in game. However, there wasn't an actual object (type, amount) there. I tried inserting one at index 1 int he same way I add water, but it didn't seem to take.
Am I approaching this wrong or is this something that can't be done at runtime via LUA API (I realise the fluid mechanics are probably compiled code behind) ?

P.S. I realise as my first wonder into Factorio modding I could have started simpler.

Return to “Modding help”