[1.1.36] Mod dependencies are not automatically activated when installing mod

Bugs that are actually features.
DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.36] Mod dependencies are not automatically activated when installing mod

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Minor follow up to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99343

Let's say I have "angelsrefining" installed, but not enabled (important).
When I now install "angelspetrochem", it will be automatically activated, but its dependency "angelsrefining" won't be.
I'd expect all needed dependencies to be activated. Though the current behavior could be intended as well.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.36] Mod dependencies are not automatically activated when installing mod

Post by Lubricus »

Prety sure there is a setting for that

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.36] Mod dependencies are not automatically activated when installing mod

Post by DarkShadow44 »

There is a setting for automatically enabling new mods, but this does not affect dependencies. They are not reenabled, which means enabling just the new mod doesn't do much.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however this is working as intended. If a mod is disabled the game doesn't re-activate it unless the player specifically goes and activates the mod or specifically activates a mod which requires it.

Installing a mod and it auto-enabling isn't enough of a "yes I want all dependencies I specifically disabled re-enabled". You can go into the Mods tab and re-enable them if you want them enabled.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:04 am
Thanks for the report however this is working as intended. If a mod is disabled the game doesn't re-activate it unless the player specifically goes and activates the mod or specifically activates a mod which requires it.

Installing a mod and it auto-enabling isn't enough of a "yes I want all dependencies I specifically disabled re-enabled". You can go into the Mods tab and re-enable them if you want them enabled.
Actually I find that really annoying,
If I download a new mod, but already have the dependencies installed, it doesn't enable them,
So the game restarts, but the mod I just downloaded is not active...
I then need to manually hunt through the dependencies (and the dependencies dependencies) and enable them, which is a pain

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:30 pm
Rseding91 wrote:

If I download a new mod, but already have the dependencies installed, it doesn't enable them,
I then need to manually hunt through the dependencies (and the dependencies dependencies) and enable them, which is a pain
Explicitly enabling a mod enables all of the required dependencies recursively. So there is no pain to find/enable them.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm
Explicitly enabling a mod enables all of the required dependencies recursively. So there is no pain to find/enable them.
Yes, I usually disable the new mod and explicitly reenable it. Although I'd prefer it to do that automatically, I see where you're coming from.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm
Klonan wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:30 pm
Rseding91 wrote:

Oh I wish I knew about that :D

Return to “Not a bug”