travathian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[kovarex] [1.1.26] Spidertron remote in quickbar gives unexpected results

Post by travathian »

tldr: watch the video link below

Steps to reproduce:

1)Have no Spidertron remotes in inventory
2)Click empty spot on quickbar, add Spidertron remote filter.
3)Greyed out remote appears on quickbar, with white as the selected color. (note this is the same color that appears in the crafting menu)
4)Open crafting menu, craft 1 Spidertron remote. Note new Spidertron remote in inventory has defaulted to black "unassigned" color, also note that Spidertron remote in quickbar has subscript 1 on it.
5) Click Spidertron remote on quickbar, note that the newly created remote in inventory is now in hand, despite the icon on the quickbar still using the icon from crafting menu.
6) Click on a Spidertron, note the color of the remote in hand (example purple) and in inventory has now changed to match purple Spidertron, but the icon on the quickbar has not (still white).
7) Release Spidertron remote.
8) Click taskbar icon for Spidertron remote, note the icon is still unchanged on quickbar, but remote in hand matches color of the synced Spidertron, purple.
9) Craft new Spidertron remote. Sync to different color Spidertron (example green). Take original Spidertron remote (purple) and put it in a chest.
10) Click taskbar icon for Spidertron remote. Note that the remote is now green, to match the only Spidertron remote in inventory.
11) Craft more remotes and sync to different Spidertrons. Clicking quickbar button always puts in hand the earliest sorted Spidertron Remote.

Last, but not least: The tooltip window in the crafting menu provides no details about how to control Spidertron. Thus, if you click on the quickbar, and add the remote, the only info you get is the ultra basic tooltip from the crafting menu. Even though you can click this button and get a remote in hand, the tooltip never changes, because it is filtering to the crafting menu remote.

This all came about because my friend, for reasons I can not explain, filtered a remote on their quickbar, and had no idea all the capabilities of what Spidertron could do. I kept saying, read the tool tip, it literally says all the cool stuff you can do with the remote. And she literally couldnt :(

https://youtu.be/4N-4ep631_A
Last edited by travathian on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Spidertron remote in quickbar gives unexpected results

Post by cbhj1 »

makes sense from a code point of view, the quickbar is set for generic remotes rather than specific ones and grabs the first remote in inventory.

does it grab an unlinked remote if you have them and they are after the linked ones? - edit: upon testing it does not and just grabs the first remote in inventory

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

cbhj1 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:54 am
makes sense from a code point of view, the quickbar is set for generic remotes rather than specific ones and grabs the first remote in inventory.

does it grab an unlinked remote if you have them and they are after the linked ones? - edit: upon testing it does not and just grabs the first remote in inventory
Exactly, either you linked specific item, or generic item, and the game behaves according to it, so not a bug.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [1.1.26] Spidertron remote in quickbar gives unexpected results

Post by cbhj1 »

the only odd part is that the remote(none) quickbar behaves as remote(any)

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

cbhj1 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:48 pm
the only odd part is that the remote(none) quickbar behaves as remote(any)
No it doesn't. There are three different ways you can have a remote in your quickbar:
spidertron remote.png
spidertron remote.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
From left to right:
  • Not conected: Take a not connected remote and click on an empty slot.
  • Connected: Take a connected remote and click on an empty slot.
  • Any: Make left or middle click on an empty slot and select spidertron remote.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

I stand corrected, thought I had used a blank remote to set the quickbar I tested with.

travathian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by travathian »

kovarex wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 am
Exactly, either you linked specific item, or generic item, and the game behaves according to it, so not a bug.
I respectfully disagree. Look at it only from the view of internal consistency. All other craftable items (sans Spidertron itself) in the game have identical behaviors and descriptions whether they are in the crafting tab, the character tab, or the quickbar. Everything in the game up to this point is a "generic" item. Even Spidertron itself, while displaying similar specific/generic behaviors as the remote, at least has the exact same description between the three areas of crafting, character, quickbar. The remote does not. It has 3 different descriptions and it does not behave the same way other items in the quickbar do. If you want to keep the behavior this way then at least consider adjusting the tool tip and finding a way to align it so that all three "states" of the Spidertron remote convey the same information.

Return to “Not a bug”