[1.1.12][Minor] Searching controls settings reveals items in collapsed categories

Bugs that are actually features.
DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.12][Minor] Searching controls settings reveals items in collapsed categories

Post by DrNefario »

Steps to reproduce:
  1. In the controls settings menu, collapse any category
  2. Open the search box and type something in it
Expected behavior:
Any collapsed categories should not reveal the items they contain

Actual behavior:
Collapsed categories will permanently reveal all items they contain, and must be expanded and recollapsed in order to hide them again.
This behavior has been consistent since at least version 1.1.6.

To be clear, this is the bug. A category should not show all its contents while collapsed, especially when there's no active search.
To be clear, this is the bug. A category should not show all its contents while collapsed, especially when there's no active search.
collapsed-category.png (15.08 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Attachments
factorio-current.log
This doesn't seem useful, but rules are rules.
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Last edited by DrNefario on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.12][Minor] Searching controls settings reveals items in collapsed categories

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's working as intended. Searching shows all matches - regardless of what the sate was before the search.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.12][Minor] Searching controls settings reveals items in collapsed categories

Post by DrNefario »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:05 am
Thanks for the report however that's working as intended. Searching shows all matches - regardless of what the sate was before the search.
If that's the way you want search to work, there's still the bug that collapsed categories show all their contents after searching, even if you cancel the search entirely, it should at the very least mark the category as open so you don't need to click twice to collapse it again.

Personally, I don't see why you'd want to see results from collapsed categories, presumably you collapsed the category because you're not interested in what it contains. The category should still show up in the results, but automatically expanding it is counterintuitive.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

I'd rather see results from collapsed categories than search for an item and think it doesn't exist when really it's just in a collapsed category.

DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrNefario »

Kyralessa wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:25 am
I'd rather see results from collapsed categories than search for an item and think it doesn't exist when really it's just in a collapsed category.
Collapsed categories still show up in search results, if you can't find something then obviously you would expand the category.
I'm simply arguing that because all categories are expanded by default, collapsing a category is a conscious choice that means you don't want to see what's in it. That should be respected when searching.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Nah, it would be annoying if it worked that way.

DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrNefario »

Why? How often do you collapse categories you want to search?

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

It's actually quite common that I'll look for something and I'll collapse categories I think it's not in. But then, not finding it, I'll use search. At that point, I want to search to show me where it really is, even if I collapsed a category thinking it wasn't there.

Return to “Not a bug”