[1.1.6] Steam - Restore backups when changing versions.

Bugs that are actually features.
afr33sl4ve
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.6] Steam - Restore backups when changing versions.

Post by afr33sl4ve »

It happened to me. There is no, from what I can see, definitive guide on how to restore lost backups when changing versions.

** I am using the Steam variant of the game. **

I went down from Latest Experimental (at the time of this writing, 1.1.6), to 0.17.79 to load an old save from Nilaus. Game did a fantastic job at letting me know it's backing up the saves. Thank you, developers. Brought up the save from 0.17.79 to 1.1.6, and I'm greeted with a blank library. Granted, I made no saves to the BP library, only the saves.

What I found is that the Steam cloud BP master is overwriting the local, despite the filename being correct.

Here's how I restored them, and ultimately, I believe this is a Steam issue, not necessarily a Wube one.

I went into my save folder on Windows, and opened config.ini. I changed line 105,

Code: Select all

enable-blueprint-storage-cloud-sync
, from true to false.

This forced my local BP master to load, however, making a change to the master (by inserting a dud BP) did not change the cloud BP master. I verified this by reverting the above change and loading back into the game. I found an empty BP library.

My BPs won't be saved to the cloud for the time being, however, I got my 29 MB BP master file back.

EDIT: These BPs are NOT in the "Game blueprints" tab.

EDIT: My BP file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w1bSZA ... sp=sharing

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.6] Steam - Restore backups when changing versions.

Post by kovarex »

afr33sl4ve wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:00 am
I believe this is a Steam issue, not necessarily a Wube one.
Moving to not a bug then.

afr33sl4ve
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by afr33sl4ve »

I did further digging. What I found is... interesting. I'll explain.

First, I found how to see what's saved in my Steam Cloud. URL: https://store.steampowered.com/account/ ... pid=427520

I found a blueprint-storage.dat.zstd file with a size of 1KB there. (No screenshot, because I didn't get one.)

Then, I queried "force sync steam cloud". I came across this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comme ... _my_steam/

Wait, there's copies of my save files in both locations? I navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\REDACTED\427520\remote and find that 1KB file, blueprint-storage.dat.zstd.

Is there a way I can trick Steam Cloud to upload my proper ~33.6MB blueprint file? If so, I think I just found it.

I copied the file over, renamed to append the file extension, changed the line in the config.ini in my original post, and... error?
factorio-blueprints.PNG
factorio-blueprints.PNG (26.34 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Ah, the ".zstd" extension must be a compression of some sort. Reloaded my Remote Storage page for Factorio, and now I see the improperly named blueprint storage file.
factorio-remote.PNG
factorio-remote.PNG (130.04 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Success! I have successfully forced Steam to upload the file.

But, what to do about the error? That part seems like it's now definitely for the devs to dig into. I came to this conclusion because I renamed the file back to just "file.dat" from "file.dat.zstd" and still get the above error when loading into game.

Log/Blueprint/Save file attached.
Attachments
BobsAgain.zip
(31.76 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
blueprint-storage.zip
(3.75 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
factorio-current.log
(54.84 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

akapulko
Inserter
Inserter

Post by akapulko »

kovarex wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:22 am
afr33sl4ve wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:00 am
I believe this is a Steam issue, not necessarily a Wube one.
Moving to not a bug then.
Up.
Relevant for me.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Steps to recover blueprint library from backup when Blueprint Library cloud sync is enabled:
1) In game, go to Other options and disable Blueprint Library cloud sync. Confirm.
2) Alt+Tab or exit the game, and copy your blueprint library backup to %APPDATA%\Factorio\blueprint-storage.dat
3) Go back to the game and enable Blueprint Library cloud sync.

akapulko
Inserter
Inserter

Post by akapulko »

posila wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:46 pm
Steps to recover blueprint library from backup when Blueprint Library cloud sync is enabled:
1) In game, go to Other options and disable Blueprint Library cloud sync. Confirm.
2) Alt+Tab or exit the game, and copy your blueprint library backup to %APPDATA%\Factorio\blueprint-storage.dat
3) Go back to the game and enable Blueprint Library cloud sync.
I only have the blueprint-storage-backup.dat file from version 1.1.21.
And there is no backup file from version 1.1-Stable.

akapulko
Inserter
Inserter

Post by akapulko »

akapulko wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:52 pm
I only have the blueprint-storage-backup.dat file from version 1.1.21.
And there is no backup file from version 1.1-Stable.
The problem faded into the background, because most public servers were updated to 1.1.21 and I don't have to do rollback.

Return to “Not a bug”