[1.1.6] Biters attacking rails

Bugs that are actually features.
Stevetrov
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.1.6] Biters attacking rails

Post by Stevetrov »

What did you do?
Been playing a bit of vanilla MP lately on AssemblyStorms weekly server. I have noticed that the biters are attacking rails often in a way that I haven't seen before.

What happened?
I built a new arty outpost (see attached pictures) and a few minutes after it started up a group of biters attacked and destoyed the rails leading up to that outpost. I have seen this happen many times over the last week. On one occasion (using show-paths) I observed the biters pathing to a location very close to the track a few seconds after the arty train had passed by that point.

My theory is that the biters are agroing on the arty train and are pathing to the trains location at the time the group sets out (after gathering) rather than the location of the arty train when it fired the shells.

What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
I expected the biters to target the location where the arty train was when it opened fire.

Pictures of arty outpost and destroyed rails (in a nice neat rectangle) https://imgur.com/a/c6egrRI

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.6] Biters attacking rails

Post by Kyralessa »

Stevetrov wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:45 pm
arty
:?

Are you referring to artillery?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

From the code, it set the target position as soon as the group command is created, not when pathing

However, likely the train sets out while the artillery shell is mid-flight, which causes the seen behavior

Unless you can provide a save game and/or reproduction steps with compelling evidence, I will call this not a bug

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

So the solution should be to set the train departure condition to a longer inactivity time

flame_Sla
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by flame_Sla »

is the target of the attack a train?
IMHO this is wrong, bugs should not know who attacked them, they can know the position from where they were attacked
hmm, what happens if I remove the train while the artillery shell is flying?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

flame_Sla wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 am
The target is the train position, but the train can move while the shell is in mid-flight

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:10 am
The target is the train position, but the train can move while the shell is in mid-flight
And when the biters get hit, they think "Well we got shot by a train, obviously. And that train probably moved 80 tiles North. We should go to that spot and attack whatever's there."

flame_Sla
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by flame_Sla »

this is not logical, the bugs can not know that the train has left, they have no spy satellites and no reconnaissance drones
bugs should attack the coordinates of the train at the time of the shot, that's logical

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:18 pm
this is not logical, the bugs can not know that the train has left, they have no spy satellites and no reconnaissance drones
bugs should attack the coordinates of the train at the time of the shot, that's logical
It might be illogical, but its not a bug

Return to β€œNot a bug”