[1.1.5] Item-with-entity-data uses `icons` instead of `pictures` when placed in world

Bugs that are actually features.
kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.5] Item-with-entity-data uses `icons` instead of `pictures` when placed in world

Post by kirazy »

Context:
I have layered icons with tier pips, and to avoid displaying the tier pips in-world on belts and on the ground, I set the `pictures` field for items, but it is not working for `items-with-entity-data` which per the wiki inherits the `pictures` field from the `item` prototype:

In inventory, they show up as `item-with-entity-data`:

Inspecting the item, the pictures field is properly defined:

But it seems to be being ignored. This does work properly for literally everything else, though. I'm also pretty certain this used to work, because I remember having to write the code to specifically handle `items-with-entity-data` and once done, it worked.

I've created a minimal save with the needed mods to explore the issue.
Attachments
Broken pictures.zip
(3.56 MiB) Downloaded 63 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.5] Item-with-entity-data uses `icons` instead of `pictures` when placed in world

Post by Klonan »

This is intended, not a bug

Some item types use custom drawing, such as blueprints, upgrade planners, and item-with-entity-data

For item-with-entity-data, it is so it can draw the sprite with the tinted overlay (spidertron)

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.5] Item-with-entity-data uses `icons` instead of `pictures` when placed in world

Post by kirazy »

Hm. Is there a workaround for my use case or am I SOL?

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:38 am
For item-with-entity-data, it is so it can draw the sprite with the tinted overlay (spidertron)
Looking at it on the wiki, this new behavior only really seems to matter if icon_tintable/s or icon_tintable_mask/s are defined. Is it possible for this behavior to be conditional on those being specified, ergo if those are nil, pictures draws instead of icons?

Return to “Not a bug”