[1.1.1] Ctrl-click no longer empties all personal inventory into logistics trash slots

Bugs that are actually features.
traycer
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.1] Ctrl-click no longer empties all personal inventory into logistics trash slots

Post by traycer »

Ctrl-click on an empty inventory slot typically transfers as much material from the source to the destination. This works going from chest to personal inventory and vice-versa, to a train wagon, to power armour, etc.

It should also work to transfer from personal inventory into the logistics trash slots. This is very handy when combined with personal logistics requests to quickly clean up your inventory of unwanted junk. This appears to have stopped working in 1.1.1. I'm pretty sure it worked in 1.1.0, and it definitely worked in 1.0 and earlier. Ctrl-clicking on an item still works (transfers all of that item to trash). It's only the specific case of ctrl-clicking on an empty inventory slot to transfer ALL your inventory regardless of type to the trash.
Personal inventory window
Personal inventory window
20201125-132351.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 4210 times

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.1] Ctrl-click no longer empties all personal inventory into logistics trash slots

Post by traycer »

Temporary workaround: Dump everything into a nearby active provider chest.
20201125-133555.jpg
20201125-133555.jpg (364.54 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.1] Ctrl-click no longer empties all personal inventory into logistics trash slots

Post by valneq »

traycer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:32 pm
[This is very handy when combined with personal logistics requests to quickly clean up your inventory of unwanted junk.
How is the "transfer entire inventory" action supposed to know which items you consider "unwanted junk"?
Most of the times, my entire inventory would not fit into the trash slots – so how do you decide?

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by traycer »

Possibly related bug? Ctrl-clicking on ammunition does not transfer to trash slots, but prints error about ammo slots being full (my character isn't equipped with any weapon).
20201125-134112.png
20201125-134112.png (942.9 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by traycer »

valneq wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:38 pm
How is the "transfer entire inventory" action supposed to know which items you consider "unwanted junk"?
Most of the times, my entire inventory would not fit into the trash slots – so how do you decide?
"Unwanted junk" is anything that isn't part of the personal logistics request in the middle panel. In the first screenshot example, I just came back from cleaning up an old perimeter defense wall that was no longer needed. I return to home base where various supplies are kept.

Normally, I would ctrl-click an empty inventory slot, and 30 slots' worth of items (regardless of whether they are desired or not) are whisked away. I ctrl-click again until everything is cleared out. At the same time, bots are also fulfilling my requests. My inventory is refilled with those items. Thus after the smoke clears, I am left with just the items I want in the amount that I want, with none of the junk I don't want. Of course, it's not really "junk"... those items are now sitting in storage chests ready to be reused later.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

traycer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:47 pm
valneq wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:38 pm
Normally, I would ctrl-click an empty inventory slot, and 30 slots' worth of items (regardless of whether they are desired or not) are whisked away. I ctrl-click again until everything is cleared out. At the same time, bots are also fulfilling my requests. My inventory is refilled with those items. Thus after the smoke clears, I am left with just the items I want in the amount that I want, with none of the junk I don't want. Of course, it's not really "junk"... those items are now sitting in storage chests ready to be reused later.
If your bots are too fast, you can also disable the requests, move everything to trash, and then re-enable the requests.
Last edited by NotRexButCaesar on Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by traycer »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:33 pm
If your bots are too fast, you can also disable the requests, move everything to trash, and then re-enable the requests.
They will almost ways be "too fast", because a logistics bot will fly to you, pick up the items and then immediately re-deposit them in your inventory. One tick to pick up, one tick to put back. With a bot capacity of 4 items, even a single logistic bot can replace a 100-item stack in under a second. Since I typically have hundreds of bots around and this is _so_ fast, I usually just repeatedly ctrl-click an empty slot until everything is reset.

But yeah, you can also toggle your personal logistics via Alt-L, empty everything out, then replace it afterwards.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

traycer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:52 pm
They will almost ways be "too fast", because a logistics bot will fly to you, pick up the items and then immediately re-deposit them in your inventory. One tick to pick up, one tick to put back. With a bot capacity of 4 items, even a single logistic bot can replace a 100-item stack in under a second. Since I typically have hundreds of bots around and this is _so_ fast, I usually just repeatedly ctrl-click an empty slot until everything is reset.

But yeah, you can also toggle your personal logistics via Alt-L, empty everything out, then replace it afterwards.
By "too fast" I meant filling an entire 30 slots every tick.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Wait … I am pretty sure this behavior was the standard before the character tab was introduced. Now that the character tab is gone, they reverted to previous behavior:
ctrl+click on ammo always goes to equipped weapon slots.

From that perspective, not a bug. You might make it a suggestion, though.

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by traycer »

valneq wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:03 am
Now that the character tab is gone, they reverted to previous behavior:
ctrl+click on ammo always goes to equipped weapon slots.
Correct, but as I said, I did not have any weapon equipped at the time.
traycer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 pm
prints error about ammo slots being full (my character isn't equipped with any weapon).

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by traycer »

Reverted back to 1.0 to test, and ctrl-click behaves as expected. With the logistics panel showing, ctrl-clicking an empty inventory slot transfers everything to the trash slots. Ctrl-clicking on ammo transfers the ammo to the trash slots as well.
factorio_ctrl_click.mp4
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 113 times

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

traycer wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:29 am
Reverted back to 1.0 to test, and ctrl-click behaves as expected. With the logistics panel showing, ctrl-clicking an empty inventory slot transfers everything to the trash slots. Ctrl-clicking on ammo transfers the ammo to the trash slots as well.
factorio_ctrl_click.mp4
That's my point. Ctrl + click now behaves as if you were in 1.0 and had the character info tab open instead of logistics. Because the character tab is always open in the bottom left now. This is exactly as it used to behave at the beginning of 0.17 before the character tab was introduced in the first place.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

The question remains: Is this an unwanted side effect? Or was this supposed to happen? That it worked this way before the character tab got introduced doesn’t mean the devs wanted this behaviour to change when they removed the character tab again.
I personally liked the behaviour in 1.0 and it should stay that way even though the character tab got removed.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by traycer »

valneq wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:31 am
Because the character tab is always open in the bottom left now. This is exactly as it used to behave at the beginning of 0.17 before the character tab was introduced in the first place.
No, that is not the character tab. What used to be in the lower-right corner since forever is still there, just in a different location on the screen. 1.1.1 now reverts back to the UI layout from before the separate character tab. Now, as before, the trash slots are visible next the character inventory panel. Ctrl-clicking should therefore also behave as before, not just to be consistent, but to be correct. There is no possible way that the current behaviour can be objectively called "correct". After all, as I've pointed out twice now, I have not equipped any weapon, therefore there are no ammo slots to fill, contrary to what the error message says.

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by traycer »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:14 am
That it worked this way before the character tab got introduced doesn’t mean the devs wanted this behaviour to change when they removed the character tab again.
Sure, but then you can make this comment on virtually any bug report. "Maybe the devs intended it to be this way?" I don't think so, which is why I'm filing this report.
I personally liked the behaviour in 1.0 and it should stay that way even though the character tab got removed.
The desired behaviour was also this way before the character tab was added in. Thus, I believe the current 1.1.1 behaviour is incorrect.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

It is more desired to transfer ammo to ammo slots than to trash slots, so this is desired behivor. Having character and logistics tab was supposed to solve also this issue (as in - if you have logistics tab selected, all inventory transfers go to trash slots), but tabs were not liked by the lead designer, so they were removed and therefore old behavior is also back.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

posila wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:20 pm
It is more desired to transfer ammo to ammo slots than to trash slots, so this is desired behivor. Having character and logistics tab was supposed to solve also this issue (as in - if you have logistics tab selected, all inventory transfers go to trash slots), but tabs were not liked by the lead designer, so they were removed and therefore old behavior is also back.
too bad it can't be made optional

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

It would make sense to have a different shortcut for transfering things to trash slots (although less so now that half the items doesn't transfer to toolbelt anymore), but that's not possible to do because the game has too many shortcuts already.

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by traycer »

posila wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:20 pm
It is more desired to transfer ammo to ammo slots than to trash slots, so this is desired behivor.
But what if there are no ammo slots?
so they were removed and therefore old behavior is also back.
No, old behaviour allowed ctrl-clicking an empty inventory slot to transfer all inventory that would fit into trash slots. Current behaviour does not reflect that.

Return to “Not a bug”