Logic combinators don't stop on power loss

Bugs that are actually features.
Pyroguy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Logic combinators don't stop on power loss

Post by Pyroguy »

I'm playing on 1.1 in multiplayer. I've noticed that, when power is cut to arithmetic and decider combinators, their stored electricity drains almost but not completely (seems to stay around 1% or something like that). This results in them continuing to output their signal indefinitely. I expect them to lose charge completely and reset, stopping all signal output until repowered.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Logic combinators don't stop on power loss

Post by Klonan »

This is intended, so that combinator systems don't lose all the data and state when power goes out

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Pyroguy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 pm
I'm playing on 1.1 in multiplayer. I've noticed that, when power is cut to arithmetic and decider combinators, their stored electricity drains almost but not completely (seems to stay around 1% or something like that). This results in them continuing to output their signal indefinitely. I expect them to lose charge completely and reset, stopping all signal output until repowered.
Ha! So I wasn't going crazy. Was trying to use power switches to shut things off and thought I was losing my god damn mind.

Pyroguy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pyroguy »

Yes that was also my situation. It would be nice to have some signal for power loss, or signal output on the power switch for reading its state of open or closed.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Pyroguy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:13 am
Yes that was also my situation. It would be nice to have some signal for power loss, or signal output on the power switch for reading its state of open or closed.
Read from an accumulator. If stored power drops below 100%, you're using more power than you're generating. Engage backup power.
It's also a good idea to run backup switches like this on their own dedicated network. All you have to do is overlap some poles without connecting them. It doesn't take many panels & accus to keep combinators going.

And another option (the one I go with) is use a mod like this: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Circuit_P ... Combinator.
Manually calculate the potential power generation of your primary power array. Use mod to see if power demand is higher than that. Engage backup power.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Return to “Not a bug”