[0.11.x] Laser Turrets firing system

Bugs that are actually features.
Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.11.x] Laser Turrets firing system

Post by Dysoch »

I am currently making a mod that adds collisions to all projectiles, to make combat more realistic. It all works fine, until i come to the laser turrets.

Laser Turrets have a bug (Rseding pointed out that it is a bug)
When laser turrets fire, they only fire a certain amount of shots to kill the target, no more. So when a turret does more damage then the HP of the target, it only fires once (the rest doesnt even fire at all)
but when you add collisions to the laser projectile, the shot never hits (because the target is moving) and the turrets wait until the projectile hits something to fire again.
By this time the target has moved to the turrets (or behind it if there are no walls) and the turrets again only fire once to try to kill it.

While i can understand that it is power saving this way, it seems odd. Maybe make it so that they fire all the time till the target dies, and the rest of the outgoing projectiles just keep going till they hit something?
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.x] Laser Turrets firing system

Post by kovarex »

Dysoch wrote:I am currently making a mod that adds collisions to all projectiles, to make combat more realistic. It all works fine, until i come to the laser turrets.

Laser Turrets have a bug (Rseding pointed out that it is a bug)
When laser turrets fire, they only fire a certain amount of shots to kill the target, no more. So when a turret does more damage then the HP of the target, it only fires once (the rest doesnt even fire at all)
but when you add collisions to the laser projectile, the shot never hits (because the target is moving) and the turrets wait until the projectile hits something to fire again.
By this time the target has moved to the turrets (or behind it if there are no walls) and the turrets again only fire once to try to kill it.

While i can understand that it is power saving this way, it seems odd. Maybe make it so that they fire all the time till the target dies, and the rest of the outgoing projectiles just keep going till they hit something?
The problem more complicated than this. This way, the turrets will all fire at the same target, resulting in huge overkill while other targets will be unharmed, and also it will waste lot of ammo etc.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

any way there can be a boolean in the prototype that switches this off? This way only mods that want to can use this
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, you can add it to suggestions, but we are not going to add new features in the 0.11, we really want to have stable version.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

kovarex wrote:Yes, you can add it to suggestions, but we are not going to add new features in the 0.11, we really want to have stable version.
already asked Rseding to do it for me :D
i could do it, but my C knowledge is limited to say the least
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Dysoch wrote:I am currently making a mod that adds collisions to all projectiles, to make combat more realistic. It all works fine, until i come to the laser turrets.
you have a good idea about the collisions to projectiles but why include laser ? it's not really a projectile in RL but more like a beam...
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

jockeril wrote:
you have a good idea about the collisions to projectiles but why include laser ? it's not really a projectile in RL but more like a beam...
Lasers still hit the first thing they come in contact with. That is whyi wanna include thrm
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

Return to “Not a bug”