[0.4.1] Big poles supply only 4x4??

Bugs that are actually features.
zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[0.4.1] Big poles supply only 4x4??

Post by zlosynus »

I was looking at different types of poles and it doesn't make much sense that big pole supports smaller area than small pole. It should probably by 10x10 or something like that.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.4.1] Big poles supply only 4x4??

Post by ficolas »

they are for transporting energy to far distances, not to provide energy in big distances, use the substation instead.

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by andzoak »

ficolas wrote:they are for transporting energy to far distances, not to provide energy in big distances, use the substation instead.
That's right. On the beginning I think that something was wrong. I understood their function after I had checked the biggest possible distance between them.

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

ficolas wrote:they are for transporting energy to far distances, not to provide energy in big distances, use the substation instead.
Ok, thanks for explaining. It is just very weird, I believe having it at least 8x8 would make better sense. Who should it work like this?

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Look at the suggestion related to this feature:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=382

Big poles are technically unfit for supplying machinery and should have downsides.

Hmm.. I think that it would be best if they didn't supply power at all.. but the 4x4 radius was kept, so one can build a lamps next to the power line.
Sure, I would be able to build a regular small pole next to the big one and then a lamp, but... too much hassle.

Or you can think about it this way:
Power can be supplied to directly adjacent machinery simply because the wire is ran down along the pole's construction.
But for more distant machines it would need to be free-hanging. The big pole is big and the wires would hang from it and potentially make short circuits.

Return to “Not a bug”