[1.0.0]Updating mod deletes old versions

Bugs that are actually features.
Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[1.0.0]Updating mod deletes old versions

Post by Honktown »

Filing this under bug report because WOW. I updated a mod which ended up having a bug (thankfully not preventing my game from starting, but I was still made aware of it). I can't downgrade to the last version I had by deleting the newer version, nor can I select/download an old version in-game. Mods-with-folders seem to be kept, but I can't trust how safe that idea is now. Can there at least be an option to delete outdated mods (the ones that are only zips), whether it's enabled by default or not? This is going to bite a lot of players, especially ones who don't update regularly and end up having to try and find which version of a mod they had if a new mod release is broken (bugs, bad migrations) or the mod changed something and they don't like it.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.0.0]Updating mod deletes old versions

Post by valneq »

This is not a bug – this is a suggestion.
And not the best one if I may add: My .factorio/mods folder is 1.7 GB large. If the game would keep all the mods in all versions, it would totally swamp my hard disk.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

For me it already does keep old versions. I am not quite sure when, but my guess is that it keeps versions that I have a save with.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

valneq wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:12 am
This is not a bug – this is a suggestion.
And not the best one if I may add: My .factorio/mods folder is 1.7 GB large. If the game would keep all the mods in all versions, it would totally swamp my hard disk.
It not being the previous behavior is the reason I call it a bug. Lead to a nasty surprise. An option would be good enough for my concerns.
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:14 am
For me it already does keep old versions. I am not quite sure when, but my guess is that it keeps versions that I have a save with.
My most recent save used the older version of the mod. I'm running the non-steam version of Factorio, with some custom options, but none that I'd expect would interfere with mod saving.

As I look, there is this:

Code: Select all

; Options: true, false
; use-version-filter-in-install-mods-gui=true
Checking it out now.

Edit: nevermind, that's for filtering the game version... and it broke on something when set to false...
I have mods! I guess!
Link

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:14 am
As far as i know it deletes the currently selected (or currently latest?) installed version when you use the ingame updater to update. So anything that you manually copy into the mod folder that doesn't meet the criteria should be untouched. Being able to select a version at all is quite a new feature in the first place though.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The current mod version gets deleted if you use the in-game updater and do not already have multiple versions on disk. The reason it doesn't delete when you already have multiple versions on disk is: most likely you have them so you can switch between them. If you're just updating then there's no point in keeping the old versions around.

If you really want the old versions you can download it off the mod portal.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”