[1.0.0] Inserters lock when trying to insert onto a moving line of cars with a break

Bugs that are actually features.
KnightHawk117
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.0.0] Inserters lock when trying to insert onto a moving line of cars with a break

Post by KnightHawk117 »

With a moving line of cars on a transport belt, a spidertron leg can cause the line to stop. This creates a gap in the line, and any inserters attempting to place items into the moving cars will no longer recognize them as inventories, and will only place items onto the belt from that point onwards. This bug happens 100% of the time.

Picking up and replacing the locked inserter does not fix it, but rotating the inserter 4 times (all the way around) does.

My experience has only been with inserters attempting to place items from a train wagon into the line of cars, and I have only tested the spidertron legs as a means for stopping the line of cars to create a gap.

With the attached save file, the inserters are easily able to place items into the trunks of the continuous line of cars. However, you can use the spidertron remote to move the spidertron over the line of cars and get one of the legs in the way so as to create a small gap. This will will cause all inserters to encounter the gap to become locked, and no longer be able to insert the items into the cars' trunks.

log-file pastebin: https://pastebin.com/qZ7GDtrg
save file:
bugreport.zip
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 47 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Inserters lock when trying to insert onto a moving line of cars with a break

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however we aren't going to be changing any behavior around inserters, belts and cars.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Inserters lock when trying to insert onto a moving line of cars with a break

Post by eradicator »

Cars on belts are weird voodoo. You have to build the inserters so that they can never reach the belt.
Attachments
asdf.png
asdf.png (34.13 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

KnightHawk117
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KnightHawk117 »

What if I have inserters on either side of the car, such that one is loading into the trunks and one is pulling out of them? Does it matter which is closer to the belt?
Attachments
car_inserters.PNG
car_inserters.PNG (98.72 KiB) Viewed 659 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

You should google for "car belt". There are plenty of people who know more about that stuff than i do.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Not a bug”