[1.0.0] "any" circuit signal should evaluate to zero when comparing to an integer and no signals present

Bugs that are actually features.
osndok
Inserter
Inserter

[1.0.0] "any" circuit signal should evaluate to zero when comparing to an integer and no signals present

Post by osndok »

Related to:
* viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87744

I would like to create a partially full "buffer" chest that:
* will always have at least N items in it, filled by assemblers
* will be unrestricted, so that robots can easily overfill it
* will "recycle" its material, by having an inserter remove it
* but will never be fully emptied by that inserter

This is easily accomplished by circuit network/wires/conditions, until you add:
* I would like to be able to copy & paste this contraption for use with other items without having to change all the signals

At present, if you specify any particular signal (say, "iron plates") then the "[iron-plates] < 100" circuit signal will be true if there is nothing in the chest.

However, if you specify the "any signal" (so that it can be copy/pasted for use with other items), then the "[any] < 100" circuit signal will be false if there are no items in the chest.

Other than that, it works as expected, so long as the chest never becomes totally empty. There is a little hazard of this from the robots, but often if N is low, I would like to be able to just "grab everything" from the chest, which will put it into a dead state (it will not add any more items to the chest because "[null] < 100" is false)... and I will need to make several more clicks than should be necessary (opening the chest, and adding one item) to "prime the pump" so that the logic will start working again.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] "any" circuit signal should evaluate to zero when comparing to an integer and no signals present

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
"Any" signal should not evaluate to true when no signal is present, so it works correctly right now.

Return to “Not a bug”