libpng not found

Bugs that are actually features.
faerbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

libpng not found

Post by faerbit »

Hello guys,

I'm trying to get factorio to run on Archlinux (64-bit). I downloaded your *.tar-version and extracted it in my home folder. But when I try to start the game via the executable, I get an error saying "./factorio: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". But I checked and there is in fact an libpng12.so.o under /lib/. Do I need to install Factorio in a specific way? Do you need the library under another path? I'm confused, because I consider my setup very standard.

Greetings,

Faerbit

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: libpng not found

Post by MF- »

Old answer:
libpng12.so.o? isn't that supposed to be libpng12.so.0 (zero) or plan libpng12.so ?
What happends when you LD_PRELOAD it? (LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libpng12.so.0 factorio) Does it work?

New answer:
Linux factorio is 32bit-only so far, 64bit will happen eventually, but none of the devs has a real machine (only virtual 32b guests)
You need 32bit versions of all libraries.

faerbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by faerbit »

Sorry the .o was a typo, of course it's .0 in the folder as in the error message.
LD_PRELOAD throws this error: "ERROR: ld.so: object '/lib/libpng12.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored."
Does this mean there is something wrong on my end?

About the 64-bit executables: I don't mind having only 32-bit ones, as long as they run on my 64-bit machine, sicne Factorio is not that ressource intensive.

Thanks for your help,

Faerbit

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Are you sure that that was a **32bit** libpng? I doubt you would have that it in /lib on 64bit system.
32bit code cannot run using 64bit libraries.

You can examine the library with "file", it says a bunch of things about it, including the architecture.

I had no trouble with libraries, likely because I had all installed in both 64bit and 32bit version for Wine.

faerbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by faerbit »

No it wasn't. My bad. I didn't have the right library installed. (For anyone running into the same problem the package is called "lib32-libpng12" and can be found in the multilib repository. I don't know about any other dependencies the rest seemed to be installed on my system.) Thank you for your help, it works now!

Greetings,

Faerbit

Return to “Not a bug”