[0.18.36] Researched recipes that change technology by mods become unavailable when the mod is disabled

Bugs that are actually features.
FedeNoobDK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.18.36] Researched recipes that change technology by mods become unavailable when the mod is disabled

Post by FedeNoobDK »

I marked this for version 0.18.36, but I guess it applies to all versions.

Anyway, when you research a technology, you gain access to X recipe. If you then enable a mod, which introduces a new (unresearched) technology behind which recipe X is locked, recipe X becomes unavailable. Upon disabling the mod, the access to the recipe carries over.

This allows for 2 scenarios (and probably more):
1) Research the new technology, and regain access to the recipe. Upon disabling the mod, the recipe is available.
2) Do not research the new technology, recipe is unavailable. Upon disabling the mod, the recipe remains unavailable, and now the technology that unlocks it does not exist. Thus, the solution is to re-enable the culprit mod, research the desired technology (which in the late game may take a long time and be quite expensive), then disable the mod, and hope you did miss any other technology that lock you out of recipe Y.

One specific mod that may give rise to such problems is AAI Industry, for various items, including pipes, belts, medium power poles, and X-to-solid-fuel (in chemical plant), to name a few.

I do not know how it works out in other scenarios, but I guess a one solution would be to update recipe access when mods are changed in a savegame, for to avoid being denied recipe access. It is my postulate that this would work for these 2 scenarios, and probably also different, but similar, problems.

Moral of the story is: Don't update mods during a playthrough. Dependencies will be enabled and you might end in scenario 2 above.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.36] Researched recipes that change technology by mods become unavailable when the mod is disabled

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however; that's working as intended. Mods can handle that on a per-mod basis as they add/remove technologies/recipes to technologies. If a mod isn't doing that when they add a new unlock or remove an unlock then you'll want to report it to the mod author.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

FedeNoobDK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.18.36] Researched recipes that change technology by mods become unavailable when the mod is disabled

Post by FedeNoobDK »

Alright, cool, thanks. I suppose the post isn't very useful, feel free to remove if you so desire :)

Return to “Not a bug”