[0.18.22][Mod][Edited] Alt-tab closes mod window without un-pausing and locks game

Bugs that are actually features.
yossarian7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.18.22][Mod][Edited] Alt-tab closes mod window without un-pausing and locks game

Post by yossarian7 »

I stepped away from my game for a while and returned to find it abruptly partially frozen. I have my autosave set for every minute and my last hard save was hours ago, so I'm really hoping there's a way to recover this, but I know it's probably a long shot.

I was playing with mods and I tried disabling them, but there was no difference. I've left them in the savegame just in case, though.

I restarted the game a couple of times before I realized I needed to grab the log file, so I'm not sure if this one will be useful.

Frozen elements:
- Player character
- All general activity in the world
- My current handcrafting

Glitchy elements:
- I can zoom but can't scroll
- Map opens but does not show radar coverage and does not scroll with keys, only with the mouse
- I can select items from my quickbar, but they go into my hand still in the form of their icons and not in the form in which they would actually be placed into play, and then I can't clear them from my hand except by clicking on the same items back in the quickbar

What I can do:
- Open the main menu
- Open the tech menu, map, train menu, tutorial menu, etc.
- Select things from my quickbar
- Cancel my current handcrafting
- Zoom
- Toggle alt-mode
- Pause/unpause

What I can't do:
- Move
- Open my inventory
- Adjust train schedules
- Scroll
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(8.79 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Real Slim Shady 2.zip
(9.34 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by yossarian7 on Thu May 07, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.18.22] Character, world frozen; inventory inaccessible; other glitches

Post by Loewchen »

You can get out of the freeze by opening and closing the /editor, fyi.

yossarian7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yossarian7 »

Oh, sweet. Thank you so much!

Any idea what might've happened? Did I just happen to hit some weird key combo to slip into limbo?

yossarian7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yossarian7 »

It just happened to me again and now I've been able to reproduce the exact circumstances as well as figure out a fix that doesn't require using the command line interface.

The culprit is the Factory Planner mod. If you have it set to pause the game when you open FP, and alt-tab out to Windows with FP open, then when you return to the game, FP will for some reason be closed but the game will still be semi-paused. (The pause that FP implements seems different from the actual game pause.) And I can mess around with my quickbar with the same limitations as what I described in my original post.

When locked in the semi-paused state with FP closed, the game can be returned to normal simply by opening and closing the FP window using the on-screen button or the hotkey. This triggers FP's un-pausing of the game upon closing FP.

I wonder if this is a FP issue or a Factorio issue? Why would FP close upon alt-tab? The tab key has a function in FP that cycles through different views, but the alt key does not. Is this FP closing glitch a problem with how Factorio handles windows or a problem with how FP is coded?

Curious. But relieved to have figured it out!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.22][Mod][Edited] Alt-tab closes mod window without un-pausing and locks game

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however as you've spotted, the issue is one of the mods you're using. Specifically the Factory Planner mod is just making its GUI invisible when it detects a resolution change (which also happens during alt-tabbing). You'll want to report the issue to that mod developer.

You can easily reproduce the issue by running the game in windowed mode, open the GUI, and resize the window slightly.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

yossarian7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.18.22][Mod][Edited] Alt-tab closes mod window without un-pausing and locks game

Post by yossarian7 »

Gotcha. Will do. I really appreciate your responsiveness! Thank you.

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

Oh wow, kinda embarrassed about this one! Sorry about it, it's fixed for the next release which is to be released shortly. Thanks for the hint about the cause too, Rseding.

Return to “Not a bug”