[0.18.17] Recipe tooltip shows incorrect values when there are insufficient ingredients

Bugs that are actually features.
clampi
Inserter
Inserter

[0.18.17] Recipe tooltip shows incorrect values when there are insufficient ingredients

Post by clampi »

Short description
There is a desync in the information shown in the recipe tool-tip and the in-game reality. It does not happen for all recipes, it might be due to recipe ingredients sorting.

Version where it happens:
Factorio 0.18.17 (windows portable if that matters)

Steps to reproduce
1) Have an assembler with some of the ingredients fulfilled for a recipe, and some incomplete, but not 0.
2) Hover over the product, see what the tool-tip reports, compare with the actual ingredients shown in Assembler UI. Notice the difference.

What is expected
The tool-tip should reflect the same information as the Assembler UI shows.

Additional information
See attached in-game screenshot.
AssemblerRecipePopUpDefect.png
AssemblerRecipePopUpDefect.png (306.92 KiB) Viewed 804 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.17] Recipe tooltip shows incorrect values when there are insufficient ingredients

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. The inventory slot only checks the slot itself. The tooltip runs a full recipe flow analysis to check what it can craft vs what it needs vs what it has. That's not going to change in either case so it's correct as is.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

clampi
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.18.17] Recipe tooltip shows incorrect values when there are insufficient ingredients

Post by clampi »

Hello,

That might be the case with the tool-tip, but it should still reflect the reality not an alternate, possible, reality. It misses a specific ingredient, the assembler has a specific recipe, it cannot magically craft the gears from the plates without external help. I understand the flow running when the recipe is hovered over the player UI crafting menu, as the player is the "crafting entity". In the case shown there is an assembler, and it should stick to that "crafting entity".

I understand highlighting in red the plates for total raw, not in the recipe breakdown. As it is, it is misleading. It suggest I should add more plates for the recipe to craft when it clearly is not the case. No matter how many plates I add, the assembler won't be able to craft the recipe. If I add 8 more plates, the recipe will highlight the gears in yellow, but the assembler still won't craft anything.

Return to “Not a bug”