Rail planner when used in ghost mode directly ignore rocks/trees/cliffs but does not mark them for deconstruction

Bugs that are actually features.
DBotThePony
Inserter
Inserter

Rail planner when used in ghost mode directly ignore rocks/trees/cliffs but does not mark them for deconstruction

Post by DBotThePony »

factorio_L6mpoy8YxM.png
factorio_L6mpoy8YxM.png (763.88 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
I have chosen rails in "ghost mode" (since i ran out of them), and used rail planner to plan out railway path. Rail planner decided to go straight through rock (which is fine), but after putting rails in that way, instead of marking rock for deconstruction and putting rail plan underneath it, nothing of latter happened.
factorio_tXuT8sO6Ed.png
factorio_tXuT8sO6Ed.png (464.86 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
However, if i do the same but holding shift when commanding to build the railway, it will produce expected result (mark rock for deconstruction and put rail plan)
factorio_0yI5fvSmGC.png
factorio_0yI5fvSmGC.png (774.06 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

I've searched this subforum and i didn't find this exact bug.

This bug is very likely was introduced in 0.17.29, and exists since then. Maybe bring back "obstruction evasive" behavior when using ghost rails without shift?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rail planner when used in ghost mode directly ignore rocks/trees/cliffs but does not mark them for deconstruction

Post by Loewchen »

You are not entering ghost planning mode unless you press shift that is what the ghost planning mode is. If you just have a rail ghost in hand and do not have shift pressed you are using normal rail planner but place ghosts instead of rail. NaB.

DBotThePony
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Rail planner when used in ghost mode directly ignore rocks/trees/cliffs but does not mark them for deconstruction

Post by DBotThePony »

I think you misunderstand the issue described in post

Video demonstration to make it clear: https://mega.nz/#!oHxHHAiC!GbI4SiVUFurz ... ljg400mMfk

Using ghost rail without pressing shift make rail planner behave like you hold shift with real rail in hand, except it still ignore obstacles and thus produce strange results

Here is how rail planner debahve when you got rails and not placing ghosts (and this behavior is expected): https://mega.nz/#!VSo3kKKY!hc9D5y7YmdPR ... I1gyphJHMA

ichVII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ichVII »

I strongly disagree with the "not a bug" assessment. When you place an item or ghost of any other entity and something is in the way, you at least get an on-screen message saying that something is in the way. When you place rails with rails in inventory, it just doesn't allow you to place it, if there is anything in the way.

However, if you place with a rail ghost in hand without holding shift, the path is selected as it would be selected with shift, but then it only places the ghosts that do not collide and does not give you a notification that something failed to place. Thus, this placement mode is just shit. I do not see any use for this behaviour.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

I agree it's not useful, an error message would be nice. The alternate placement mode to place ghosts routed around obatacles was added in 0.17.59. Using CTRL+Left click to activate it isn't very well known. Don't know if it would make sense to just always use that if you aren't holding shift.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

robot256 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:17 pm
I agree it's not useful, an error message would be nice. The alternate placement mode to place ghosts routed around obatacles was added in 0.17.59. Using CTRL+Left click to activate it isn't very well known. Don't know if it would make sense to just always use that if you aren't holding shift.
Added back, you mean. ;) It was already in the game prior, but they removed it in 0.17.29 in favor of just always marking objects for removal. Took a lot of nagging to get it back. And iirc, before they had removed it, it was always active depending on what mode you started the building in (ghost or no ghost).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Not a bug”