Slackie
Inserter
Inserter

[0.18.8] (map editor) power poles don't connect when placed via clone

Post by Slackie »

This one is pretty easy to replicate.

1) Start the map editor.
2) Click the Entities tab.
3) Place a medium power pole on the ground.
4) Click the Clone tab.
5) Select the medium power pole you placed in step (3).
6) Clone a new medium power pole within connection distance of the medium power pole you placed in (3).

I would expect that the two power poles would be connected together, but they are not.

If you destroy the cloned power pole and place it via the Entities tab, it is properly connected to the first power pole.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.8] (map editor) power poles don't connect when placed via clone

Post by Squelch »

Interesting. This is exactly the behaviour I would desire from copy/paste and blueprints. Clone makes an exact copy of both the pole and its connections, and does not auto-connect.

I can confirm the behaviour as reported. A single unconnected pole when cloned, remains unconnected. Two or more connected poles will clone with an exact copy of the connections. Auto-connect is not active for clone.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. that's working as intended: cloning preserves the entities and the connections as exactly as it can and the map editor just uses the same clone logic as the Lua API.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Rseding91 wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:33 am
Thanks for the report. that's working as intended: cloning preserves the entities and the connections as exactly as it can and the map editor just uses the same clone logic as the Lua API.
I suspected this was intended behaviour, and have in fact flipped it on its head and made a new and up to date feature request for this behaviour to be migrated to the main game's copy/paste and blueprints. It is an often requested and discussed problem.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Squelch wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:25 am
I suspected this was intended behaviour, and have in fact flipped it on its head and made a new and up to date feature request for this behaviour to be migrated to the main game's copy/paste and blueprints. It is an often requested and discussed problem.
Never going to happen. It's not the behavior you want 99.999999% of the time when using blueprints.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:37 pm
Squelch wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:25 am
Never going to happen. It's not the behavior you want 99.999999% of the time when using blueprints.
Hmm, an interesting response, but sadly without elaboration.

Finding the need to rewire every blueprint and clipboard after placing is not enjoyable gameplay or time well spent in my humble opinion. It shifts problem solving from within the game to a frustrating need for fixes caused directly by the game mechanism. ie an increased cognitive burden that is abstract from the original problem solving, and without apparent rationale.

I respectfully don't see how it's not the behaviour that is, and has often been asked for, but it is entirely your baby, and I'll reluctantly abide by your decision.

Return to β€œNot a bug”