[0.17,74] It's is possible to detect enemy bases by looking at the pollution map

Bugs that are actually features.
JakubW
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17,74] It's is possible to detect enemy bases by looking at the pollution map

Post by JakubW »

Enemy bases absorbs a lot of pollution, by doing that they make pollution map cleaner and therefore there are clean chunks on the map that can be used to spot a new enemy base that haven't been discovered by a player nor radar.

The save I'm playing on: Download

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17,74] It's is possible to detect enemy bases by looking at the pollution map

Post by valneq »

How do you think this should be addressed?

Not show updates to the chunks on the map unless radars scan them?
Then, you would get updates on the status of the pollution in those chunks, as well as on whether there are new bases in those chunks.
Downside: You don't see the true extent of pollution. Only a bad estimate. Remember: Radars are fairly slow in uncovering the map.

Show an estimate on the spread of pollution based on production and revealed spawners only?
Then you would have to keep track of two pollution values: true one, and estimated one.
The true one would only be be based on the true diffusion and consumption based on the actual spawners.
The estimated one would only account for diffusion and *revealed* spawners. Upon sector scan of a radar, it could adjust the estimated pollution value to the measured one.
Downside: When in map mode, your pollution indication would mostly overestimate the spread of the pollution.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17,74] It's is possible to detect enemy bases by looking at the pollution map

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This isn't a concern and is fine to work this way :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”