[0.17.78] Modules Disappear

Bugs that are actually features.
RiiDii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.78] Modules Disappear

Post by RiiDii »

[Edit] Kindly disregard. This is user-error and not a bug. [/Edit]

Modules I, II, and III are disappearing when removed from Assembling Machines. The problem seems to be occasional and I'm not sure what triggers or cures it, and I am not sure how to reproduce the exact conditions. The conditions I noticed the problem was in Assembling Machines 2 making Speed Modules.

Here's what happened:
When placing an upgrade module into the machine externally (that is, without opening the machine's UI window) from Speed Module I to II, I noticed the module was replaced in the machine, but the old module didn't end up in my inventory (in several test-instances, I had no modules of the old type in my inventory so I could be sure). I also checked to make the module had not been expelled (such as when the inventory is full) or became part of the machine's input or output inventory. Next, I opened the machine's UI window and replaced the Module manually. The new module was placed, but the old module disappeared - not under my cursor, not in my inventory, and not anywhere else that I could see.

The final test I completed was to only remove a module without placing a new one. As before, the module disappeared. I started to try more tests on Production Modules and Efficiency Modules, and for different devices (Research Labs and Assembling Machines 3), but the problem did not carry over. When I tried Speed Modules again in Assembling Machines 2, the modules no longer disappeared.

Log File:
factorio-previous.log
Log File
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Game Save:
Uber Ultra Mega Base of DOOM III - Base MId.zip
Save Game File
(8.51 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by RiiDii on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RiiDii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.78] Modules Disappear

Post by RiiDii »

Kindly disregard. I found the speed modules hidden [nearly] under the Assembling Machines. It seems they were expelled from my inventory.

RiiDii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.78] Modules Disappear

Post by RiiDii »

Some additional thoughts on this issue.

The reasons I didn't see the modules drop are:
  • Blue module under a blue assembling machine made the modules difficult to see - I didn't see them until I upgraded to Assembly Machines 3
  • No indicator, beep or buzz, indicating anything was wrong
  • Expected behavior was that the removal would be blocked altogether, rather than quietly dropping the item onto the ground
  • This still doesn't explain why the module disappeared when I tried to pick it up directly from the Assembly Machine UI without trading - I think the expected behavior would be to have the item stick in the pointer icon like other items do when inventory space is unavailable.
None of these, of course, are bugs. However, some room for improvement seems to be available if you have the time.

Return to “Not a bug”