[0.11.8] Shotgun fires when game is unpaused

Bugs that are actually features.
Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.11.8] Shotgun fires when game is unpaused

Post by Holy-Fire »

The default key bindings for shooting is space, for pausing and unpausing shift+space.

If a shotgun is selected and the game is unpaused, the "space" from the unpausing sequence triggers the shooting, and I'm shooting without intention to do so - typically, in the middle of my base with lots of sensitive equipment around.

This doesn't happen with SMG, since space will fire only at hostile target.

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.8] Shotgun fires when game is unpaused

Post by Holy-Fire »

So... Am I the only one with this problem?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

If the bug is reproducible (can't test now) the devs will get onto it. Be patient.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Once we didn't move the bug to not bug or minor issues, it is just waiting to be processed, I hope to clear the bug reports section eventually.

But I hope you understand that this is 2 levels lower priority than MP crashing, trains going off path and similar stuff.

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

kovarex wrote:Once we didn't move the bug to not bug or minor issues, it is just waiting to be processed, I hope to clear the bug reports section eventually.

But I hope you understand that this is 2 levels lower priority than MP crashing, trains going off path and similar stuff.
Sure, no problem, I just thought it's a bit weird that nobody confirmed encountering this in a few days (given how often I encounter it myself).

Akromos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Akromos »

playing solo, you can pause the game with "escape", so no shotgun problem
playing MP, it is also possible, but you have next to click "pause game", it's a bit longer, but no keyboard conflict
The advantage with the silence is that it does not say bullshit...

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

Akromos wrote:playing solo, you can pause the game with "escape", so no shotgun problem
playing MP, it is also possible, but you have next to click "pause game", it's a bit longer, but no keyboard conflict
I often need to see the world while paused, so the escape menu isn't a sufficient solution.

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

PS. This only happens if first shift is released, and then space.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Most people should release space then shift. Also if it really becomes an issue you can rebind the pause or shoot key.
It is considered a minor issue for now.

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

Twinsen wrote:Most people should release space then shift. Also if it really becomes an issue you can rebind the pause or shoot key.
It is considered a minor issue for now.
People don't actually release one button and then the other, they release both simultaneously and then it's essentially random which is triggered first. Also, it is convenient that both shooting and pausing make use of the easily reachable space bar.

Anyway, whenever you get around to it...

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Holy-Fire wrote:People don't actually release one button and then the other, they release both simultaneously
I don't. Do you? That's a weird way of doing it.

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

FishSandwich wrote:
Holy-Fire wrote:People don't actually release one button and then the other, they release both simultaneously
I don't. Do you? That's a weird way of doing it.
Of course.

What's weird about it? You currently have both buttons pressed. You want neither button to be pressed. The most natural way to do it is to release both simultaneously. What I mean is not that you take extra effort to ensure they are released at the same instant - rather, that you just let go and don't make any effort to choose which one is released first. Hence, the randomness in which one is registered first.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

For me, those buttons don't do anything on their own(alt, shift, ctrl) so I continue holding them down for about a half second after I've pressed the paired key with no worry that they'll do anything. Releasing both simultaneously isn't natural to me, and I guess I don't have to deal with any randomness either. Your method of releasing them at the same time seems flawed to me.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

FishSandwich wrote:For me, those buttons don't do anything on their own(alt, shift, ctrl) so I continue holding them down for about a half second after I've pressed the paired key with no worry that they'll do anything. Releasing both simultaneously isn't natural to me, and I guess I don't have to deal with any randomness either. Your method of releasing them at the same time seems flawed to me.
This is the way I do it as well.

Return to “Not a bug”