[0.17.73][Modded] Outrunning map generation

Bugs that are actually features.
Turalcar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.73][Modded] Outrunning map generation

Post by Turalcar »

At ~16.6x normal running speed it is possible to outrun map generator. Besides visual effect this means that it's possible to cross cliffs before they appear (behind you), the only real obstacle is water.
This is achievable with Bob's mods Power Armor MK5 and 26 Exoskeletons MK3.
When running diagonally it only takes ~12.4x speed (19 Exoskeletons MK3) and has an additional effect: some chunks along your path end up never being revealed: On screenshot the middle section where I added more speed (19.6x) has more jagged edges
screenshot
There was a section about this on wiki until 6th of June 2018 (when it was updated w.r.t. 0.16 release) but it was removed for some reason although it mentioned "lower end machines" which doesn't seem to be the problem as map generator never seems to take more than 5ms and generally stays at ~1ms per update.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.73][Modded] Outrunning map generation

Post by DaveMcW »

Turalcar wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:33 am
This is achievable with Bob's mods Power Armor MK5 and 26 Exoskeletons MK3.
It's a bug in Bob's mods then.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

This is actually vanilla. If you use Ghost Mode (No character, free movement) it is trivial to reach the edge of generated map.
Never considered that they would be a mod that let you stack so much speed that it would be a legitimate issue though.

The best solution I can think of is to treat incompletely generated chunks as impassable to all methods.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I don't think this is a big problem

Moving to minor issues

(If another developer feels otherwise, feel free to move it to assigned)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I would say this is "not a bug". Map generation runs at a fixed speed in game ticks and if you move faster than that you can out-run it.

When mods push things up to 11 these are the results they get :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Turalcar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Turalcar »

Can I increase the speed of map generation? At least to the point when it takes a significant portion of a tick.

I think this should be reproducible in vanilla multiplayer by replacing 1 guy running at 12.4x speed with 4 guys running at 3.1x (7 vanilla exoskeletons each) in different diagonal directions.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Turalcar wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:23 pm
Can I increase the speed of map generation? At least to the point when it takes a significant portion of a tick.

I think this should be reproducible in vanilla multiplayer by replacing 1 guy running at 12.4x speed with 4 guys running at 3.1x (7 vanilla exoskeletons each) in different diagonal directions.
No.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Either the player should be stopped from running into the chunk or the chunk should be force generated, including the on_chunk_generated() event. If you want to keep the constant rate then it's the former. The later might be nicer though.

I bet in vanilla you can place down rails while riding a train to outrun map generation. You just have to click fast enough.

Return to “Not a bug”