[0.17.69] Multiple crashes/errors while saving and loading a game

Bugs that are actually features.
beiju
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.69] Multiple crashes/errors while saving and loading a game

Post by beiju »

I just had a whole bunch of errors and crashes, most of which happened while I was trying to reproduce the first. I assume at least some of them are related (I doubt I just happened to encounter 4 bugs at once) so I'm putting them in the same report.

Running Factorio 0.17.69 on Ubuntu 18.04.1, and I have several config.ini settings changed so I attached that file too.

Here's the order of events.
  1. Launched Factorio and tried to load this saved game with these mods. I got the error "Error while running deserialisation for mod-factoryplanner: [string "do local _={mod_version="0.17.54",players={{m..."]:1: malformed number near '0x1.47p+'" which seemed to be Factory Planner's fault.
  2. Relaunched and updated mods (hoping Factory Planner would have been updated, but it wasn't).
  3. I tried loading the game again anyway with Factory Planner still running, and it crashed while loading the game. Log file is attached (labeled "Load crash").
  4. Tried to load again, to reproduce, and got the error from (1) again, so I disabled Factory Planner.
  5. During launch Factorio hung during "Generating Sprites". factorio-current.log stopped at "Factorio crashed. Generating symbolized stacktrace, please wait ..." and after waiting for a few minutes I gave up and killed the process. I should have saved the log from this one but unfortunately I didn't.
  6. Tried again and the save successfully loaded. An autosave happened to hit just a few seconds later, and Factorio crashed. Log file is attached under "Save Crash 1".
  7. Did the exact same thing again, and it crashed on autosave the exact same way. Log file is attached under "Save Crash 2". I also grabbed a core dump. It's huge, so I didn't upload it yet, but I can if it would help.
  8. Tried a few more times and it's 100% reproducible. The mods folder is now this -- I think that's equivalent to the first one I linked if you disable Factory Planner, but I figured I'd upload it again just in case. The save file is still the exact same file.
As if that wasn't enough, I think this might be related to a crash I had in 0.17.68, on this same playthrough, that I collected diagnostics for but didn't report because 0.17.69 came out before I could write it up. At the time I was using non-blocking saving (I turned it off to see if the crash would also happen with blocking saving), and the background process crashed on every single save (auto or manual). All the data I collected is in this google drive folder. _autosave9.zip is the last successful save, _autosave10.tmp.zip is the partial save that Factorio crashed while generating, and factorio-crash-core.zip is the core dump I collected from the process that was crashing.

Sorry for the essay. If there's any more data I can provide, I'll be happy to do so.
Attachments
config.ini
config
(25.45 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
factorio-current.log
Save crash 2
(217.16 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
factorio-previous.log
Save crash 1
(217.32 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
factorio-current (1).log
Load crash
(211.98 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.69] Multiple crashes/errors while saving and loading a game

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Both crash 1 and 2 of the crash logs are showing it crashed trying to save blueprints in your clipboard queue and it just crashes on a random blueprint entity while saving - nothing special. "Load crash" is crashing on trying to read the emissions of a tree that it's loading - again nothing special.

Based off that and your description of it crashing while loading the game itself I would say your system is just incredibly unstable and recommend you run memory tests or system stability tests in general to try to diagnose what part(s) are causing the problems.

There's a chance you found 3 different bugs with the game in 3 different places at the same time while the rest of the players seem to be running without significant issues - but the chances of that seem pretty small to me :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

beiju
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.69] Multiple crashes/errors while saving and loading a game

Post by beiju »

......oh

I do indeed have some bad RAM. I never even thought to check that. It explains some other issues that I assumed was just linux being linux.

Thanks for your debugging help, and I'm sorry it wasn't actually Factorio-related.

Return to “Not a bug”