[0.17.66] Factorio crash when game saves after steam client has crashed

Bugs that are actually features.
Bertus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.66] Factorio crash when game saves after steam client has crashed

Post by Bertus »

When Factorio is started from the Steam client and it saves the game, but the Steam client has crashed, Factorio crashes without saving the game and without creating a crash report. This happens when I save the game AND when the game autosaves.

This problem exists at least in all the 0.17 versions but I have only now got around to reporting it.

The Steam client crashes at least twice a day on my system (which you can do nothing about). It would be very nice if Factorio did not crash as well (which you can do something about). I always lose the last x minutes of play and have to redo what I was doing.

To reproduce:
- Start Steam
- Start Factorio from Steam and load a game (or start a new game)
- End task the Steam client using taskmanager (or in my case, let it crash by itself)
- Save the game in Factorio.
- Crash

This happens every time. I believe (but don't know for sure) Factorio tries to notify the Steam client it has saved the game and this fails.

What I would expect:
- Factorio saves the game and displays an error that it cannot communicate with the Steam client, then continues without crashing.
- Alternatively: Factorio saves the game successfully then crashes :p

My usual game has a couple of mods, but I have just reproduced it with 0 mods.

Hope you can fix. Love your game (played 2381 hours so far). Will provide any further info you require gladly.

Cheers, Bertus

P.S. I am on a fairly exotic system config (AMD Threadripper). I have not tried to reproduce on another system but could do so on an Intel based laptop if needed.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.47 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.66] Factorio crash when game saves after steam client has crashed

Post by posila »

Hello, thanks for the report.
Unfortunatelly, that's not a bug, nor is it a crash - it's Steam API terminating the game as it realizes the client is not running.

Bertus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bertus »

It only realizes Steam is not running when the game is saved? Weird. Could this be worked around?

Of course, I will try to file a bug report on the Steam client as well.

Cheers.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Bertus wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:09 pm
It only realizes Steam is not running when the game is saved? Weird. Could this be worked around?

Of course, I will try to file a bug report on the Steam client as well.

Cheers.
It realizes it when we call into Steam API and it starts to execute its own code. Normally closing Steam Client would notify the API in the running game so it would terminate immediately, but since the client crashed this didn't happen.
The workaround would be not to play Steam version of the game, I suppose.

Return to “Not a bug”