[0.17.63] Crash with unknown reason, repeatable to some degree - not a bug, remove topic

Bugs that are actually features.
Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.63] Crash with unknown reason, repeatable to some degree - not a bug, remove topic

Post by Dixi »

I was running across terrain, planning where to put a new chemical refinery. So was moving for last 10 seconds at least. Suddenly screen freezes for a few seconds, then a message about crash appear.

Autosave - about 2 min before crash.

After restarting game and loading save it did not crashed same time, but crashed again in next 10 or 15 minutes. Attached new crash log and dump. with number 2 in file names.

Upd: Keeps crashing at random intervals, here is next 4th crash. 3rd one freezes whole system and did not managed to save a log.
Attachments
factorio-current 2.log
(9.75 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
factorio-current.log
(10.09 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by Dixi on Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.63] Crash with unknown reason, repeatable to some degree

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Looking at the 3 crash logs they're all crashing in completely random places each time. That makes me highly suspect bad RAM on your end.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:20 pm
Thanks for the report. Looking at the 3 crash logs they're all crashing in completely random places each time. That makes me highly suspect bad RAM on your end.
Yes, it crashes at random with c0000005 code always.

Had no problems with RAM before. I'll run some test tomorrow, will write here if it is a PC problem.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Sorry for bug report - it's a hardware problem in my PC.

Memtest86 shows, that, due to unknown to me reason, memory, when it's temperature gets to 67 degrees, starts to fail a lot. DDR3, no manual overclocking.

IIPoliII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by IIPoliII »

Dixi wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:24 am
Sorry for bug report - it's a hardware problem in my PC.

Memtest86 shows, that, due to unknown to me reason, memory, when it's temperature gets to 67 degrees, starts to fail a lot. DDR3, no manual overclocking.
Your ram should not hit that temparature, it's really weird maybe you have a faulty barret try to remove one or 2 and found wich one is faulty

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.63] Crash with unknown reason, repeatable to some degree - not a bug, remove topic

Post by steinio »

Do you have rgb leds on your ram stick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnST5rA64Oc

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.63] Crash with unknown reason, repeatable to some degree - not a bug, remove topic

Post by Dixi »

Next day I turn power switch on a power supply off for several minutes, did BIOS reset to default, loaded optimized defaults and everything turned back to normal. Still no idea what caused the problem. No crashes anymore.

I suspect that some memory access control setting in a BIOS got changed to high overclocking value, due to random bug, and taken above actions turned it back to normal. No other reasonable ideas.

RAM is typical DDR-3 Kingston PC3-12800 (1600MHz), 4Gb * 4, about 5 years old.

Thanks for care, and sorry for wrong bug report.

Return to “Not a bug”