[Oxyd] [0.17.59] Intermittent UPS drop on Biter path finding

Bugs that are actually features.
Hannibal08
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Oxyd] [0.17.59] Intermittent UPS drop on Biter path finding

Post by Hannibal08 »

Hello,

I do not have a rather large factory, but occasionally the UPS drops to about 40 for several seconds. I have enabled showing path finding requests in the debug overlay, and the drop in UPS seems to correlate with a path finding request from a biter nest to one part of my factory.

I have disabled all mods (so some parts of my factory aren't working), and the save file is seconds away from an expensive path finding request, which is what the screenshot is from.
Attachments
LowFpsSoonNoMods.zip
(11.68 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
LowFpsPathFinding.png
LowFpsPathFinding.png (862.36 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
FineFps.png
FineFps.png (915.24 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
factorio-current.log
(9.64 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

barbary
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.59] Intermittent UPS drop on Biter path finding

Post by barbary »

I have found that I get a near Permanente drop of 8 ups when I moved from 0.17.54 to 0.17.59. How ever I am under near constant bitter attack so maybe it's the same bug. The 8 UPS I have lost is almost exactly the same amount I gained when I moved from 0.17.43 to 0.17.54.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Oxyd will have to say for sure but I suspect it's just "how it is" because you have biters attacking. The gains in previous versions may have been due to bugs in the sleeping logic where biters would go inactive when they weren't supposed to.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Hannibal08
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hannibal08 »

Thank you for the reply. To clarify, the slowdown only really occurs from the nests on the left side of the bottom left lake. I am attacked from other positions continuously and I did not notice the same slowness when I saw path requests from other nests. It seems like this is normal/baseline game behavior (not extreme or intensive) and I have a respectable CPU, so I would expect stable FPS.

Kirk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kirk »

Especially because I do not have a respectable CPU and in my most recent save I have waaay more biter bases than in the screen shot, but no performance drops at all.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Possibly something introduced by, or not quite fully addressed by viewtopic.php?f=11&t=72985
Oxyd wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 pm
You are right that there is a chokepoint that they struggle with, which should be fixed in the next release.

The other part was the topology of the map – they struggled to pathfind around the lakes. Which should be fixed in 0.17.59.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Oxyd] [0.17.59] Intermittent UPS drop on Biter path finding

Post by Oxyd »

This is because the game.map_settings.path_finder.max_steps_worked_per_tick setting is set to 10000 in your save. The default value is 100. Probably one of the mods you're using changed this value, or maybe you changed it yourself using the Lua console.

Either way, the higher the value of this setting, the bigger the UPS impact of pathfinding will be, so this is all working as expected. Try to find the mod that changed it to such a high value and ask the author to reconsider that decision.

Hannibal08
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [Oxyd] [0.17.59] Intermittent UPS drop on Biter path finding

Post by Hannibal08 »

Oh cool. I was thinking myself that it'd be a good idea to have a way to limit the amount of time spend in path finding per tick.

Thanks for looking in to this, and sorry it wasn't a real bug!

Return to “Not a bug”