[0.17.58] Fix CTRL-C and CTRL-X to activate on keydown

Bugs that are actually features.
doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.58] Fix CTRL-C and CTRL-X to activate on keydown

Post by doktorstick »

Howdy. If you press and hold CTRL-C or CTRL-X and start left-click dragging the mouse, it cancels the operation even though the picker is indicating the correct operation. And for what it's worth, I haven't noticed other operations being pedantic with the release of the key-combo, such as ALT-D LEFT-CLICK (deconstruction).

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.58] Fix CTRL-C and CTRL-X to activate on keydown

Post by BattleFluffy »

I've noticed issues with this as well. If you are in a multiplayer game with network latency involved, if you press Alt-D and start dragging straight away, it does not draw a drag box. To make it work, you must press Alt-D, then wait about half a second, _then_ start your drag selection.

To me it feels like these sorts of GUI-related things should not require a response from the server, and should be fully rendered on the client up till the point of completing the drag-selection and executing the command, which obviously requires communication with the server.

Other players / the server are not affected in any way by my drag selection if I don't actually complete it. Surely we only need to send data to/from the server once the drag-selection has been completed?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

If you are holding CTRL while you click, it won't work,

CTRL + Click will then try to put the item in your cursor into an entity, so if you drag the mouse over an entity, it will try to insert it.

If I press CTRL + C, then let go of CTRL while holding C, it works,

I don't see anything here that is a bug

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

I understand that, but the behavior isn't consistent nor is it user-friendly. CTRL-C-Click, they for sure aren't trying to insert a fictional item into an entity.

When you press and hold ALT-D, the cursor shows the deconstruct operation and the operation is allowed.
When you press and hold ALT-U, the cursor shows the upgrade operation and the operation is allowed.
When you press and hold ALT-B, the cursor shows the blueprint operation and the operation is allowed.

When you press and hold CTRL-C, the cursor shows the copy operation, yet the operation is not allowed.

On a practical level it shouldn't matter that the first three put ephemeral items in your hands. The UI is giving feedback that the operation is ready to go, but then turns around and ignores the users' actions. The UI lies.
CTRL + Click will then try to put...
I'm not using CTRL-Click, I'm using CTRL-C-Click; it's an important distinction. Furthermore, I have no items in my picker to insert, anyway. CTRL-C should change the state, whether released or not.

By your statements, CTRL-C (release) SHIFT-Click (which changes the state from copy to blueprint) should be inserting items (because SHIFT-Click inserts items). But no one would expect that, because that would be unintuitive. (Too early, not enough coffee.)
Last edited by doktorstick on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

doktorstick wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:07 pm
I understand that, but the behavior isn't consistent nor is it user-friendly. CTRL-C-Click, they for sure aren't trying to insert a fictional item into an entity.

When you press and hold ALT-D, the cursor shows the deconstruct operation and the operation is allowed.
When you press and hold ALT-U, the cursor shows the upgrade operation and the operation is allowed.
When you press and hold ALT-B, the cursor shows the blueprint operation and the operation is allowed.

When you press and hold CTRL-C, the cursor shows the copy operation, yet the operation is not allowed.

On a practical level it shouldn't matter that the first three put ephemeral items in your hands. The UI is giving feedback that the operation is ready to go, but then turns around and ignores the users' actions. The UI lies.
CTRL + Click will then try to put...
I'm not using CTRL-Click, I'm using CTRL-C-Click; it's an important distinction. Furthermore, I have no items in my picker to insert, anyway. CTRL-C should change the state, whether released or not.

By your statements, CTRL-C (release) SHIFT-Click (which changes the state from copy to blueprint) should be inserting items (because SHIFT-Click inserts items). But no one would expect that, because that would be unintuitive.
You are holding CTRL, which when clicking the mouse has a different action than dragging a selection tool

Shift click does not insert items, CTRL + Click inserts items

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

I made a mistake w/ SHIFT-CLICK point, which unfortunately in Internet discussions, allows everything else to be ignored.

The UI still lies.
Last edited by doktorstick on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

doktorstick wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:25 pm
I made a mistake w/ SHIFT-CLICK point.

The UI still lies.
The UI is being consistent, holding CTRL, it will try to insert the currently held item into entities.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

Okay, well, thanks for hearing me out. Cheers.

Return to “Not a bug”