[0.17.52] Self hosted server seemingly shuts down right after starting, new issue after latest update.

Bugs that are actually features.
PooGod
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.52] Self hosted server seemingly shuts down right after starting, new issue after latest update.

Post by PooGod »

1. Starting a server as a service in headless mode. The server seemingly starts up but closes immediately.
2. Last lines of the server's log:

Code: Select all

6.717 Info     ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:138: Quitting     multiplayer connection.
6.717 Info     ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:776:     updateTick(4294967295) changing state     from(Ready) to(Closed)
6.773 Goodbye"
3. This same setup was previously working, as of 0.17.50. I expected to be able to join the server from the same PC that is hosting it by connecting to 127.0.0.1

This is the latest log file for the server:
https://pastebin.com/PiSgxKkp

Here is the save file in question:
Server.zip
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
Here is the Server Settings JSON file:
https://pastebin.com/7R3DfMuP

PooGod
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.52] Self hosted server seemingly shuts down right after starting, new issue after latest update.

Post by PooGod »

Just an FYI, I tried with a new, from scratch save file, and it does the same thing.

PooGod
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.52] Self hosted server seemingly shuts down right after starting, new issue after latest update.

Post by PooGod »

Found the solution.

During the update process, my server-settings.json file was removed, and needed to be re-created.

During the recreation process, I misconfigured the .json file.

The reason I didn't know this was happening was I have my server set to run as a service, under the local system account. Due to that, the log file stops where it does because a pop-up is supposed to show up with the error about the missing key in the server-settings.json file. Since I was running as a service under a different account, I didn't get that error message, and the server never shut down or closed the .exe, making it look like it was just running. Really, it was waiting on my to click a non-existent OK button to dismiss the error.

I found this by stopping my server service, and starting the factorio server from command line manually. This allowed the pop-up to show up and be dismissed properly.

I've fixed the .json file, and have successfully tested the connection, locally on the PC that is also hosting the server, as well as remotely.

Return to “Not a bug”