[0.17.51] Entity tooltip appears when entity is still in hand

Bugs that are actually features.
TaigaOnTop
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.51] Entity tooltip appears when entity is still in hand

Post by TaigaOnTop »

When the setting "Entity tooltip on the side" in Settings > Interface is unchecked, an entity tooltip for any placeable entity in my hand is affixed to the cursor before I've even placed the entity.

This causes some overlapping of the UI showing the number of an item I have in my hand with the entity tooltip in a manner that seems unintended, and it can make placing entities with precision in my factory a challenge at times due to the entity tooltip being fully opaque and obstructing my vision right on top of where I'm trying to place things.

My interface is set to 125% scale on a 1920x1080 display, though I've found through testing that changing the scale of the UI has little effect on this issue.
Example screenshot
Example screenshot
Entity Tooltip When Entity Is Still Held.png (3.31 MiB) Viewed 1272 times
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Log file
(5.2 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.51] Entity tooltip appears when entity is still in hand

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's working as intended (and also one of the reasons why I don't use the at-cursor version of the tooltip).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

If an option is just so terrible that no one should use it then why is it even an option?

TaigaOnTop
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TaigaOnTop »

I would be fine with having the tooltip on the side like I had for quite some time, but the reason I switched to this is because I have a different issue when I have the entity tooltip on the side. If I have the tooltip on the side, at 125% scale, very long tooltips such as the tooltip for the oil refinery get cut off at the bottom of the screen. The only means by which to fix this is to scale my UI down, but this isn't something I want to do, since 100% scaling tends to be a lot harder for me to see and work with on my screen.
Entity Tooltip Gets Cut Off on Bottom.png
Entity Tooltip Gets Cut Off on Bottom.png (3.86 MiB) Viewed 1210 times
Due to the troublesome at-cursor entity tooltip getting in the way, and due to not being able to see all tooltips fully when they're to the side at my preferred scaling, I essentially feel forced into having the tooltip to the side and scaling my UI down to an uncomfortable size. These issues may be minor, but they do impede my gameplay and make two of the options in for the interface fundamentally unusable for me, the at-cursor entity tooltip, and being able to scale up the UI even a single tick along the slider.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

tehfreek wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:30 pm
If an option is just so terrible that no one should use it then why is it even an option?
Because some people think it's great. I'm not one of them.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:23 pm
tehfreek wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:30 pm
Because some people think it's great. I'm not one of them.
I've found that sometimes it's great and often it's terrible.

I'd really love if at some point we could have a keyboard shortcut to swap between the two modes, which for me would make it worth using a lot more often. I often only want it on for a minute at a time, and so end up not bothering to go through the menus and back out again to change it.

Return to “Not a bug”