[0.11.x] Transfering fuel into Car/Tank trunk broken

Bugs that are actually features.
JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.11.x] Transfering fuel into Car/Tank trunk broken

Post by JLBShecky »

Ok the title is a little long but I think it fully describes the issue. Prior to 0.11 you could transfer things with a fuel value into the car's trunk.

IE with default keybinding once the car's fuel inventory slots were filled inserters would put things like coal and wood into the car's trunk, or you could use ctrl+click to transfer such things as well.

In 0.11.x you can transfer any item without a fuel value into the car's trunk inventory, but when a player tries to fast transfer items with fuel values into the car/tank or load up the vehicles with inserters the fuel inventory will fill up and then all other attempts to insert will be blocked until there is room in the fuel slots. This makes loading up the trunk with fuel tedious as you have to manually transfer one stack at a time if you want to use the car as a means of transporting fuel from a remote outpost to your main base.

I haven't been able to see this mentioned in the change logs or anywhere else so I am assuming that this was an intended result of extending the car to make tank's possible.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Transfering fuel into Car/Tank trunk broken

Post by DaveMcW »

It's actually intended to make automatic refueling possible. Now fuel inserters stop when the fuel slots are full, instead of filling the entire inventory.

But the cost is you can't easily transport fuel anymore.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Lets call it a feature :)

JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JLBShecky »

I'm fine with that, it is just that I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere, and form a consistency standpoint it stands out, mainly when a player tries to transfer stuff from their inventory into a the trunk using ctrl+click. I really don't use cars all that often and didn't even notice it till Zisteau went to use his cart to transfer coal in his LP a couple episodes back and it threw him for a loop.

For new players it isn't all that much of an issue I'd say, but for anyone with experience with 0.10 it can really throw you for a loop.

[Edit]
I guess it is the perfect excuse for a mod that intentional fills only the trunk of car/tanks.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I actually like this idea: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 839#p54839

Could work for the car, too, is just the other direction. :)

But what we really need here is a "car loading station"/garage, cause to be honest, it's still a bit tricky to drive the car that near to the inserters.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Eh, this doesn't fix anything that was broken, though... Making car refueling stations was already easy with smart inserters, so all this change does is preventing us from automating fuel transport inside car trunks. Can't say I'm a fan of changes that make the game less flexible.
ssilk wrote:it's still a bit tricky to drive the car that near to the inserters.
Perhaps inserters should wait for cars to stop, like they do with trains.

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

For the record, I consider this a bug. I am aware of why it was changed, but at the same time I use the car to transport fuel a lot more than I want to automatically refill the car with fuel.

User_Name
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by User_Name »

ssilk wrote:it's still a bit tricky to drive the car that near to the inserters.
Nah, car is fine, but driving TANK into refueling station without squishing a pair of inserters - that's what I call tricky.
Although [ Long inserter | Wall | Tank ] alleviate this problem.

Back to the topic - it is bad design decision, because it creates inconsistency and frustrates the player.
Unfortunately, I can't suggest any flawless solution.
Keeping current inserter behavior, but allowing manual mass-transfer of fuel to cargo seems like a better option, but it is still inconsistent...
Attach your blueprints to forum posts with Foreman or Blueprint string.

Yes-Man
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Yes-Man »

Currently (0.14.22) an inserter fills up the whole car with fuel (wood, coal etc).

Is there a way to (automatically) refuel cars in an orderly fashion?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Yes-Man wrote:Currently (0.14.22) an inserter fills up the whole car with fuel (wood, coal etc).

Is there a way to (automatically) refuel cars in an orderly fashion?
Wrong forum and way too old.

Return to “Not a bug”