[0.17.44] Non blocking save geting stuck on waiting to save

Bugs that are actually features.
Cooldude2606
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.17.44] Non blocking save geting stuck on waiting to save

Post by Cooldude2606 »

I have as erver which has non blokcing save enabled but from time to time when I try to connect it will get stuck on "waiting for the server to save the map" when I look at the log for the server it seams like it might be saving the map before my client is ready to recive it, see log extracts below for relvant connections. Of note is that we have had no problems with autosaves only when joining and that the problem seams to resolve its self after some amount of time without any changes to how I am connecting.
Client-Server Details
Server Side
Client Side
Server Side Success
Note: ip addresses have been removed, username has been removed in successful attempt since it was not me.
--- Developer for Explosive Gaming factorio community. Find our code on GitHub. Please contact me via our Discord. ---

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.44] Non blocking save geting stuck on waiting to save

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's working as intended: the server must wait for the map to be saved before you can join and it has to block until that finishes.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Cooldude2606
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooldude2606 »

Doesnt the line "changing state from(InGameSavingMap) to(InGame)" mean that it has finished saving, also the map never seams to finish saving if that is not the case since I have at times waited upwards of 10 minutes on that screen and the map is only a few megabytes big, plus many other players arnt getting stuck on this message.
--- Developer for Explosive Gaming factorio community. Find our code on GitHub. Please contact me via our Discord. ---

Windsinger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Windsinger »

As we're now in 0.18.17, this problem is still valid/present.

This is defo not working as intended.

Server display the following log and stops at the line: (On the client you'll see "Server is saving the map: Bar is instantly at 100%" it needs to get a response from the server that it's doing that, before it actually start from 0 and count up)" (even if you wait 10 minutes!)

Code: Select all

ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:921: updateTick(181167) received stateChanged peerID(2) oldState(Ready) newState(ConnectedWaitingForMap)
It SHOULD display the following almost instantly after to indicate it the server is busy saving the map. it does not do this and just stalls, no messages further from this point unless you terminate the connection.

Code: Select all

62722.153 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:921: updateTick(181272) received stateChanged peerID(7) oldState(ConnectedWaitingForMap) newState(ConnectedDownloadingMap)
If i either connect to a different server or close down the client and try again, it will in 90% of the cases work again.
I've had this issues on 3 different physical servers, installs, type of OSés (2 linux, 1 windows).

Further investigation in what it is, is appreciated since i'm definitely not alone with this problem (also have seen it on different client's/PC's/Internet connections).

Highcooley
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Highcooley »

I can confirm, that is still an issue in Version 1.0.0.0

Cooldude2606
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooldude2606 »

Highcooley wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:55 am
I can confirm, that is still an issue in Version 1.0.0.0
The issue should be fixed for version 1.1 as reported in this thread, however I have not tested it on our servers yet.
From further digging I found the issue was related to our ban list rather than non blocking save.

Return to “Not a bug”