Feature: on time tutorials

Bugs that are actually features.
wellczech
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Feature: on time tutorials

Post by wellczech »

I've been watching new Factorio steamers recently and I think tutorials should be enhanced and delivered when needed.

This bug (UX enhancement) is low severity and importance, but I suggest should be resolved before 1.0.

Current behaviour:
Tutorials are available when items are researched (maybe?), but it's available sooner than new players need it, because new players tend to over produce and over research and have no use for new items for long time.

Expected behaviour:
For example trains. When player research trains, they could be given tutorial on laying out simple track and setting up train station and train loader. But for one train only. Later, there can be another tutorial on usage of multiple trains, which includes signals tutorial.
In overall, tutorials needs more finer episodes and smarter triggers. For example, research train event -> learn laying track, make station, make loader. Build second train event -> learn signals.

To get excellent feedback on new players, I recommend watching https://www.twitch.tv/bananasaurus_rex/videos He's new player/streamer and have no prior knowledge nor help from his viewers. Also he talks about his thought process a lot.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Feature: on time tutorials

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Why NaB and not moved to suggestions instead?

Return to “Not a bug”