[0.17.38] Crash during autosave

Bugs that are actually features.
ignatio
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.17.38] Crash during autosave

Post by ignatio »

I've been getting intermittent crashes during autosave since the last couple of updates. Not sure in exactly which version it started happening, but it ought to be within the last two weeks, i.e. since 0.17.35 or so. When it crashes, some data gets written to the new save ending with .tmp.zip, but it's much less than the full data.

Attaching the log, the failed autosave, and the last previous successful autosave.

Also attaching a small mod of my own I'm using with this savegame, since the crashes might correlate with this mod coming into use. I don't expect the mod to have any bearing on the savegames - its only purpose is to export some in-game data into csv files. It does however do a tiny modification to data.raw.

Note I get intermittent graphic freezes and other crashes in Factorio too, but those I tend to blame on my graphics hardware, which I don't trust. However these crashes seem different since they occur during autosave, also when autosaving happens while the game window is unmapped.
Attachments
inserter_throughput_0.17.0.zip
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
_autosave3.tmp.zip
(881.02 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
_autosave2.zip
(7.43 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
factorio-previous.log
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

MardilB
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.38] Crash during autosave

Post by MardilB »

I experienced a autosave crash in [0.17.38] with no mods.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I had just exited a train and switched into map view right before the autosave started.

I attached the log, failed autosave.tmp file, and crash .dmp file.

I have the last successful save, but the upload fails (19.6MB). I can send if needed (AppData\Roaming\Factorio\crashes\20190512).
Attachments
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(758.5 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
factorio-current.log
(11.29 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
_autosave1.tmp.zip
(6.82 MiB) Downloaded 66 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

The first post really looks like memory corruption. It tried to save an invalid value. Changing one bit makes the value valid.
Coupled with the fact that you are getting other hardware issues, it's almost certanly memory corruption. Please run a memtest and some stress tests.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Same for the second post. A pointer is 0x0000040000000000 instead of 0x0000000000000000 (1 bit difference)
Please run a memtest and some stress tests.
You guys live in the same place? :P

ignatio
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ignatio »

Dunno, you think it's solar winds? ;)

Jokes aside, could flaky graphics memory cause the bit error in my case? Or is it enough that I test main memory? (I haven't doubted the mobo so far, only the graphics card.)

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

ignatio wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:55 pm
Dunno, you think it's solar winds? ;)

Jokes aside, could flaky graphics memory cause the bit error in my case? Or is it enough that I test main memory? (I haven't doubted the mobo so far, only the graphics card.)
Graphics card issues won't cause a bit flip in Factorio gamestate memory, but your graphics issues could still be caused by bad RAM/Motherboard, since all textures and drawing data still goes though the RAM, and since it's a large amount of data, it's more prone to corruption, corruption which will more often cause artifacts instead of crashing the game.

Return to “Not a bug”