[0.17.34] Max wire length appears inconsistent

Bugs that are actually features.
AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.34] Max wire length appears inconsistent

Post by AngledLuffa »

I laid out a 12x12 grid of lamps and measured how far green wires could stretch between the lamps.

One corner could connect to a lamp 10 lamps to the left. It could also connect to a lamp 10 to the left and 1 down, for a length of sqrt(101) = ~10.0499. It could not connect to a lamp 10 to the left and 2 down, a length of sqrt(104) = ~10.198.

However, I could also connect to a lamp 9 to the left and 5 down, sqrt(106) = ~10.296. away from the first lamp.

This seems quite inconsistent. I suppose it is also possible lamps have a different horizontal and vertical size, but they do look like squares.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.34] Max wire length appears inconsistent

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Wire connection distance is not based off entity center position <> center position but the distance between the selection boxes of the entities.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.34] Max wire length appears inconsistent

Post by AngledLuffa »

Thank you, that is a succinct explanation of where my assumptions were false. It even makes sense. Of course the wire can start from the SE corner and stretch to the NW corner, for example, instead of always having to touch the same location on the object. In my defense, the graphics do show them always touching the same (SE) corner of the lamp.

Return to “Not a bug”